Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys think of the steel cowl induction hood? I first saw it in the Quadratek(sp?) magazine, and liked the look, but more importantly I thought it would be a great way to get rid of the heat under the hood.

Oh I know you can go to Wal-Mart and buy some of those A/C vents for mobile homes, hack up the OEM hood and accomplish the same thing. :rofl:

I was reading on GOJEEP how he put one on his XJ and he even had a fix for high water crossings. A magnetic strip from a refrigerator! Great thinking.

Anyway I was trying to find a low price and found out that I can pick it up locally for $399 plus tax (shipping is $175 to a non comercial address).

I read further on GOJEEP that with this cowl hood there is a 20 degree difference between outside air and engine compartment air, compared to the 90 degree diffrence with the OEM hood.

As you know I was going to get some of the new bits painted so this would be a perfect time to get a new hood and have it painted the OEM red.

You can see more detailed pics on the GOJEEP website, but here is the basic shot you see all over the web...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
i think that is bad a** and would look awsome with that bumper your having built if i had the $$ i would get one, i always wanted one on my old dakota but it was new so i didnt want to replace bran new parts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I think the hood looks bada$$. The only thing that turns me away from that is I don't think you reduce enough heat to be worth spending that much money on a hood. if it reduced the temps by 30-40 degrees then sure. But if it's mainly for looks then go for it cuz it looks good.

I reduced my motor temp by 12 degrees by spending $34. Not the most ideal temp-reducing setup but it works.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
With a hood like that you will have to come up with a bad boy motor to go with it.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With a hood like that you will have to come up with a bad boy motor to go with it.
lol, they all want to race now. :rofl:

It's going to get a stroker in the next few years.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I like it to the point where on my hour drive to physio yesterday I came up with a plan to build one for the peyote project. I am just going to cut the center out have a friend at the sheetmetal shop build the sides and then put it all back togeather. I think I am going from the lip on the hood. I think it looks better that way.
this way its just time not money and it will be strong as the original.. and I do think it will let alot of heat out. Depending on the lovers used..

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Just throwing this out there as an alternative idea. They sell a bunch of scoops on summitracing.com. You could purchase one of those scoops for about $50, place it on your hood and cut an opening as big as you want underneath it. Make a non-functional scoop functional. I was gonna go this route but went with boat vents instead. It would be the same as those hoods but a heckuva lot cheaper. There was a red cherokee posted here i think that showed the scoop i was talking about but i just got off work and not in the mood to search through 1000's of threads for it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
the only bad thing about that idea is that you lose the braces in the hood when you cut it out. it could make it flop around alot. I am going to look but the reasons I wanted just to cut lift and fab in the sides was to keep the factory look and keep the braces not to mention it will only cost me the wire and some spot puddy and time.
I think I can cut the sides and back then just tilt and bend in to the shap I am looking for...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Its very cool looking... But at $400 pretty darn pricey....

I just did the spacer method for a cash outlay of $0....

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
If you have any bodywork skills (And patience!), you could either just make the cowl, or buy just the scoop, then cut and fit it to your stock hood...

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I understand $400 is a lot of money, but it seems to be an easy and very nice looking way to solve a design problem.

Less heat in the engine bay should extend the life of many of the parts. Perhaps 1 million miles as opposed to the measly 300-400 thousand! :rofl:

The $400 isn't going to keep me from buying other upgrades.

Besides if I did the body work I'd make some minor mistake and I'd always see it when no one else could. I would have to do it 2 or 3 times before I was really happy with it.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Thanks guys. I understand $400 is a lot of money, but it seems to be an easy and very nice looking way to solve a design problem.

Less heat in the engine bay should extend the life of many of the parts. Perhaps 1 million miles as opposed to the measly 300-400 thousand! :rofl:

The $400 isn't going to keep me from buying other upgrades.

Besides if I did the body work I'd make some minor mistake and I'd always see it when no one else could. I would have to do it 2 or 3 times before I was really happy with it.
Cowl hoods are not really known for letting heat out of the engine compartment, if that's your reasoning. They work as an induction hood because at the point where the opening of the hood scoop meets near the windshield, there is a low pressure area, thus allowing fresh air to enter the engine compartment. But it's not really something that's useful for cooling. If that's what you're after, you'd do better to add some vents to the fenders and hood area.
Much like the BMW in this pic...

Later.

·
Registered
307 Posts
no thanks, I'll just make my own.

those are nice, but not for the price. I'd rather build one that's not so smoothly contoured too.

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
ive seen it and i liked it but, its to dang expencive go for a small hood scoop or vents.

but if the money isnt bad for you then get it!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
The cowl hood does look good though, so if it's more for form then function, then I say go for it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts