Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

What’s better Heim Joints or Chevy tie rod ends for one ton steering?

• Heim Joints

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chevy tie rod ends

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to figure out which direction I should go with a one ton UTK should I get one that has Chevy tie rod ends or Heim Joints?

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
Granted I am sort of a purist, but I don't like open heim joints for steering components that are constantly moving, even if just a little. They will stretch and wear out and you will need to replace them periodically Also, whatever you decide on, you will want to retain the original Y link setup. That is, the tie rod needs to attach to the drag link, not the opposite. The majority of aftermarket kits switch to the drag link attaching to the tie rod, which will in spite of claims to the contrary and addition of nylon bushings, cause the tie rod to roll when steered and will produce a sloppy steering no matter how tight the rest of the components are. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I ordered steinjager steering with heims Im against heims for on road driving. When I install mine if it ever stops raining I'll post pics. My truck is becoming a trailer queen except for local jeep rides.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
I won't vote in the poll because I can't say which it better for your application, but I went with heims and everything felt much nicer than before. I expect to replace them eventually but meanwhile I keep them lubed and watch them. No more than I had to for tie rod ends, which I absolutely hated. Im sure the devil invented them.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I used a 1-ton TRE kit from Ironman4x4fab
I think what 4.3 said is accurate - there WILL be tie rod roll and some slop. My steering is predictable and in control, but does not have a strong return to center. It will pull almost to center, but can be directed to stay just left or right of center. It won’t really pull itself straight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts