Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching and reading for almost 2 hours now on my steering issues. 2001 XJ 4" of lift and 32" tires. The XJ steering seems very lazy and pulls to the right and feels like I'm fighting the wheel constantly wonders around alot.. The worse the crown of the road is of course the worse it pulls. I feel like I'm always turning left , it seems to be this way in city or highway driving. I recently changed axle ujoints and rebuilt the track bar with no help. I had it in for an alignment caster is 6.38 on passenger side and 6.8 on drivers side, shop said it was with in specs and did not change it. Toe was at 1/2 degree in. I had this same lift with 31's and didn't seem to have the issue, trimmed the fenders and went to 32" tires and now it has this issue. Have stock UCA's and LCA's, adjustable track bar. The Jeep only has 48,000 miles on it. Balljoints, tierods and hub bearings appear to be in good shape. Any ideas. I have a set of fixed lower arms that measure 16.25" long waiting to be installed, been trying to figure my issue first. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
672 Posts
does the jeeps wheel return to center after taking a turn without you helping it? if not you prob have caster issues.My jeep did it like crazy when i installed a 4'' and left the stock control arms. The caster was at 1 degree and i was running 33s. when i put in my larger lift and ran 35's the jeep was undriveable. I had checked my caster again and it was -2 degrees. I adjusted the LCA's to bring it to 3 degrees and the thing handled near stock. I think your best bet is putting in adjustable UCA's and LCA's. Put the caster to around three degrees and run it. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Returns to center fine. Doesnt pull when the brakes are applied either.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Jeff,

Sent you a PM. Does it feel "lazy" or just twichy? If it feels twichy IMO it is your caster angle is too steep. As I say in the PM, I've read that 7-8* caster on a lifted XJ works. As far as I can tell with an angle gauge I'm somewhere around 7-7.5*. At that angle I will say my Jeep is slower returning to center, but nothing that is a problem. It does NOT wander anymore and that is what counts. The tech at the Jeep dealer told me I was nuts to think that much caster angle would work...shows what he knows. His XJ wanders all over. I know he let me drive it, but he refuses to change the caster.

BTW, something that just hit me. Have you tried to move the front tires to the rear? Could it be a bad belt in a front tire?

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna rotate the tires this weekend. Might be a radial pull. Not sure what to really do next. The alignment tech said its ok as far as worn parts and caster settings.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Been searching and reading for almost 2 hours now on my steering issues. 2001 XJ 4" of lift and 32" tires. The XJ steering seems very lazy and pulls to the right and feels like I'm fighting the wheel constantly wonders around alot.. The worse the crown of the road is of course the worse it pulls. I feel like I'm always turning left , it seems to be this way in city or highway driving. I recently changed axle ujoints and rebuilt the track bar with no help. I had it in for an alignment caster is 6.38 on passenger side and 6.8 on drivers side, shop said it was with in specs and did not change it. Toe was at 1/2 degree in. I had this same lift with 31's and didn't seem to have the issue, trimmed the fenders and went to 32" tires and now it has this issue. Have stock UCA's and LCA's, adjustable track bar. The Jeep only has 48,000 miles on it. Balljoints, tierods and hub bearings appear to be in good shape. Any ideas. I have a set of fixed lower arms that measure 16.25" long waiting to be installed, been trying to figure my issue first. Any help is appreciated.
I have the same issue. Always pulling to the right. I'm at 4.5". Caster is not the problem, at least not mine. I have adjusted it all over the place and it still does it. I'm at 4 degrees of caster. Every single joint/steering component on the front end has been replaced and nothing changed. What tires are you running and how much psi? Tires that are not flat, but rounded on the tread usually have the tendency to follow the crown of the road.

Another possible explaination could be the wheelbase on each side. Mine is 1/2" shorter on the passenger side and that's where it pulls.

Have you tried driving on the opposite lane (2 way road, with NO TRAFFIC ;)) and see if it pulls to the left?

Hopefully you figure it out so I can too :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Another possible explaination could be the wheelbase on each side. Mine is 1/2" shorter on the passenger side and that's where it pulls.
If you've never been to this website, there is alot of useful information.

go.jeep.com

Just a little note for Australian owners or any RHD ones, if you have trouble of it always pulling left following the camber of the road, check your wheel base left to right and you will find that the left side is 10 mm shorter than the right! This is so it will run straight on USA or on the right side of the road which of course is the opposite of what we want. I had to add an extra 10 mm shim to the left side LCA and also remove the UCA, weld up the diff end holes of it and re-drill them 10 mm forward so that my wheel base is the same left to right. It still follows a steeply cambered road a small amount but on freeways it is perfect. To follow the Jeep logic for this you would need to extend a further 10 mm to have the same as their stock setup! My tyres now wear nice and evenly too.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
If you've never been to this website, there is alot of useful information.

go.jeep.com

Just a little note for Australian owners or any RHD ones, if you have trouble of it always pulling left following the camber of the road, check your wheel base left to right and you will find that the left side is 10 mm shorter than the right! This is so it will run straight on USA or on the right side of the road which of course is the opposite of what we want. I had to add an extra 10 mm shim to the left side LCA and also remove the UCA, weld up the diff end holes of it and re-drill them 10 mm forward so that my wheel base is the same left to right. It still follows a steeply cambered road a small amount but on freeways it is perfect. To follow the Jeep logic for this you would need to extend a further 10 mm to have the same as their stock setup! My tyres now wear nice and evenly too.
ahhh so i can say my 1/2" shorter-passenger-side-wheelbase could be the reason i'm always pulling to the right. I gotta adjust something :pop:

·
Premium Member
9,253 Posts
Been searching and reading for almost 2 hours now on my steering issues. 2001 XJ 4" of lift and 32" tires. The XJ steering seems very lazy and pulls to the right and feels like I'm fighting the wheel constantly wonders around alot.. I had this same lift with 31's and didn't seem to have the issue, trimmed the fenders and went to 32" tires and now it has this issue.

If you changed the tires and this showed up, I would first suspect the tires. I had the same problem on my outback when I bought it. Put some Michelins on and it went away and drove perfectly. Borrow some other tires and see if this happens or swap the tires front to rear. The lazy steering, if it just showed up indicates tire problems.

Steve

·
Registered
410 Posts
Another vote for tires. Always start with the simplest suspect then work your way up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts