Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I've been racking my brain and need some input, im overlooking something and need fresh ideas.....

The short of it is pretty easy. Dropped my rig to 4" from about 6.5-7". Years ago I tore the axle side track bar mount up and cobbled together a trail fix . This required a straight track bar and I needed to run larger lift to avoid dif contact. I managed to get my angles spot on by using a larger drop frame side and ran it for a long time with no issue.

Fast forward, I want lower height, so I decided to tackle the mess. Taking all the angles into consideration.

Frame side is a Clayton Double sheer Mount, NO DROP. New Clayton Track Bar. Axle side is a new factory mount. Steering is a Currie Currectlynk, no drop Pittman Arm.

My Eyes tell me the angles are spot on, but my steering wheel tells me otherwise. Bump steer is back, the worst is when drivers side hits a manhole cover or other larger bump. It's present with a passenger hit, but not as prevalent. Everything is tight, or at least has no play present while vehicle is stationary moving the wheel back and forth.

Alignment is good 1/16th toe, castor is 5.5-6*, and control arms are all tight johnny joints. It drives great on the highway and I get minimal feedback on the highway, but around town pot holes are much worse than its ever been, especially if only one side hits a hole.

I'm considering trying a stabilizer to try and calm down the sharp hits. But I'll have to fab something up since that was chopped off the axle long ago.

Going off Kevin's Off-road numbers the difference in the Drag-Link/ Track Bar is just over an Inch. I can redrill my frame side track bar mount higher to try and get these numbers closer, but I would like some alternate opinions first.

Pictures will be of the old setup first, new second.
20191027_163006.jpg
20210603_061451.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,023 Posts
You are talking bump steer, where the rig takes a dive towards the side of the road when you hit a bump, not death wobble?

Looking at your set up, It looks to me that you need to add a drop pitman arm so the frame side track bar is the same height as your drag link

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are talking bump steer, where the rig takes a dive towards the side of the road when you hit a bump, not death wobble?

Looking at your set up, It looks to me that you need to add a drop pitman arm so the frame side track bar is the same height as your drag link
Correct bump steer, not death wobble.

I re drilled the frame side track bar mount 1" higher. I'll attach the picture below.

·
Premium Member
10,023 Posts
That looks good to me. How does it drive?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks good to me. How does it drive?
So far it's better. I'm tweaking toe while doing this as well so each time it seems to settle down. I nailed it this last time at 1/16th toe in and got the steering pretty much centered so fingers cross my drive home is a bit better.

My buddy and I are putting one tons under his xj so I grabbed his stabilizer and I'm gonna fab an axle side stabilizer mount. Once the steering side bracket comes in I'll try it out and fingers crossed it calms the last little bit of bump steer down. I know they arent the fix for things, but if it drives nice without, im hoping it just takes a small amount of the snappieness out of it and makes it a bit nicer. I'm hoping this last set of tweaks is what it needs but I'm not hopeful it's gonna be totally gone

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, drives much better. I think the stabilizer will help enough that ill forget all about this thread. Same can't be said for my control arms......might be time to start thinking long arms.........

·
Premium Member
10,023 Posts
You will like those much better and improve your steering with improved castor angle

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Death wobble is still present under perfect circumstances. Got under it and had the fiance jiggle the wheel. There's enough cumulative play in the steering between all the TREs that I think that's my biggest contributing factor.

Looking at the cav fab steering now since it will play nicer with my axle swap in the future. Ugh

Figures I just spent the $ on fixing the A.C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts