Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Cherokee Classic, Red, 4.0 inline 6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving about 75 mph down the interstate the other day, hit a hard bump ,went into death wobble and the engine stalled out. The computer registered the code as an impact with another vehicle (Roads in Arkansas are crap). Also got the "no bus" message, turned out that the impact/death wobble shorted out the oil pressure sending unit and the CPS. Shop fixed the electrical issues and jeep is running again. They also told me it need a new steering stabilizer as the rest of the front in checked out fine and everything is tight. I can drive it at 65 mph and hit bumps with no problem. Shop wanted $340 to replace it, I said no. I can do that myself. Question is, what steering stabilizer should I upgrade to? Possibly a dual shock?

It has a Teraflex on it now that is barely a year old after being installed with a 3" Rough Country lift about 18 months ago. Tires are 245/75/16 Toyo Open Country A/T 3, less than 10, 00 miles on the tires. 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic with 227K miles on original engine/trans.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Death wobble is common. There three causes of death wobble. Bad tires, bad alignment and loose joints. The most common is loose joints of some type. Steering stabilizers are just a band aid and most front end techs really don't understand our solid front axles well. For instance I don't have a stabilizer on my rig and in spite of the tall lift, no wobble at all at any speed or bump. So the first thing to do is have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the joints. All of them. Pay particular attention to the axle side track bar joint. The bolt hole for it can get egg shaped and that can work most of the time, but give occasional death wobble

·
Registered
2000 Cherokee Classic, Red, 4.0 inline 6
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Death wobble is common. There three causes of death wobble. Bad tires, bad alignment and loose joints. The most common is loose joints of some type. Steering stabilizers are just a band aid and most front end techs really don't understand our solid front axles well. For instance I don't have a stabilizer on my rig and in spite of the tall lift, no wobble at all at any speed or bump. So the first thing to do is have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the joints. All of them. Pay particular attention to the axle side track bar joint. The bolt hole for it can get egg shaped and that can work most of the time, but give occasional death wobble
I already drilled out and put a 7/16" bolt in the axle side of the track bar. Snugged it down to 110ft-lbs with grade 8 hardware. Did that a couple of months ago. The entire front end was redone when the lift was put on about a year and half ago. I supposed a tire rotation could help. The steering is tight and pretty well aligned already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve been down this road several times before. Definitely triple check all the joints & tie rod ends after the shop. Put on some work gloves and shake, both ends of the tie rods, drag links, and track bar. Don’t forget to check the upper track bar brace that mounts to the frame thoroughly and look for any small cracks that could be causing flex. Check the ball joints by jacking the tire up & using a pry bar underneath the tire and move them up and down to check for play. Have a tire shop double check to make sure the tires are properly balanced & front end alignment. A new steering stabilizer will only mask the issue temporarily and will not fix it. I have an extreme suspension build, that doesn’t really need a stabilizer, but I choose to use one to make for more comfortable of a drive on the highway and on windy days.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had to think back to what I added since there’s a mix/match of different stuff & it’s been a while but the only Teraflex suspension parts I have on there now should be the rear shackles actually. The tie rod/drag link/track bar are Ruffstuff rods with Moog end links & JKS & Ballistic Fab mounts after we added WJ knuckles. I added the Fox thru-shaft stabilizer for a JK just for overkill & try to prolong servicing other parts (theoretically) but it does sort of look like the Teraflex TS stabilizer. I think I opted for the Fox bc there were more settings for adjustments & the dimensions worked better.

To the OP, Warrior suspensions is right - have someone rock the steering wheel back & forth while looking for play if shaking the hell out of the rod end’s don’t reveal anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had my eye on those for a while but the Moog ends have lifetime replacement warranty so it was a trade off. I think even the HD ends will eventually fail just be able to take more abuse & last longer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts