Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

21 - 40 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Been making progress. have to get some good pics of the details.
I installed task lights underneath the the shelves all around the perimeter of the bay. These are 36" fluorescent lights designed to be mounted beneath overhead storage units in a work station cubicle environment. Compliments of my job again. I salvaged them from the trash one day with this specific application in mind. They are the perfect watt/temperature to give good bright working light that doesn't blind you.
Im really happy with the way this garage is turning out.
I've been collecting things, with this vision in mind, for two years. Its so satisfying to see it all come together. Where there weren't shelves on the walls from previous ages, i installed some using wood and boards either found here when i moved in or brought from my previous house, salvaged from the attic, dating to the 1880s.

I love imagining the history of this house. The first car that was stored in the garage was probably a Ford Model A or T or something similar. My neighborhood was built as a well-to-do Moto-Centric community in the mid 1920's. It's known as "The Oaks" and was meant to impress motorists passing through with its opulence and grandeur. No ****, that's the story. a hundred years later i'm a lucky middle class dude saving this house from imminent decay. Half a mile from Camden. Just across the bridge from Philly. Once a "summer house in the country" for wealthy merchants from The City (hence "Merchantville").
Now, its being saved/maintained by awesome people who recognize its significance in history, its unique architecture and heritage, and dedicated small-town community.

So when i took on this garage, i approached it with the idea to respect and embrace the heritage and history of the place. It has been used - the concrete floors are saturated with a century of motor oil and gunk. The stucco walls are coated with a hundred years of residual exhaust. Something got splashed on the wall some time long ago, and its still there.
I love building on this legacy and making it better than it ever has been before.

I'll have to post up some detail pics so you can get the idea.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Meanwhile, I tackled the front end and got the axle out and on the floor. No turning back now.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Rear axle and leaf springs out tonight.
Trying to get in a routine of 2-3 hours after dinner at least 2 weeknights.
Id love to be out there every night but i gotta balance other duties, and also not hurt myself - Still suffering Tennis Elbows, making it hard to grip stuff. Going to Physical Therapy for it, and have to wear arm straps whenever im doing pretty much anything. Have to heat/massage them, and try to do some strengthening exercises, if i want them to get better.
Cant let it stop me from working though. I got a lot of crap to do.
Actually the hard part about trying to work on this regularly is curbing the habit of significant beer intake during and following any kind of wrenching or house work
That's my inclination for sure but I know that if i let myself do that for the duration of this project, im gonna run into trouble. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
My son had this trouble and had surgery to relocate the tendons in his arm. Worked well for him, no problems for years now. Ran into a cashier at the store that had it too and worked for her

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My son had this trouble and had surgery to relocate the tendons in his arm. Worked well for him, no problems for years now. Ran into a cashier at the store that had it too and worked for her

Eew. I don’t want more surgery.
Actually my doctor and therapist both recommended against it, but good info to hear that it has been successful for some!

Im hoping that after therapy I’ll be able to safely build some strength. I’m a weakling.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I love my house this time of year.

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Off-road-o-denderon
I see what you did there....

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
may the Fourth be with you. and also the 5th.
Drivetrain is stripped; both axles out and set aside, leafs, springs, shocks, drive shafts, all that good sh** gone and disconnected.
Trans/t-case ready to pull; starter and slave removed, vent tubes and electrical, t-case linkage, all bolts out or loose, etc.
Stopped short of actually pulling it, pondering best next move.

Also got help from my ten year old daughter to extricate $8 worth of change from the t-case shifter handle assembly. It's been there since i bought it. I think one day long ago some little kid had fun pulling coins from the ash tray and dropping them down the shifter handle slot. Either that or the PO was really clumsy with loose change. I told my daughter she could keep what she found and i'd match it. now i owe her a whole $8. $16 for 15 minutes of work - that lucky duck!
Any of you guys make $64 an hour? i sure dont! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Transmission: AX15 5-Speed.
For almost three years now this trans has been whining and screaming. Pretty sure its the input bearing. Noise is there any gear EXCEPT 4th (1:1). Press clutch pedal, noise goes away. Replaced clutch and pilot bearing two years ago, no impact on whine noise. All signs point to input shaft bearing.
Drained trans fluid yesterday and found metallic sludge. Yummm.

Yup, that gunmetal grey “transmission fluid” on my finger is evidence that something is eating itself alive in there.
So yeah, replacing the transmission with a rebuilt unit is a big impetus for this whole project.
There's a guy in delaware that is always advertising on Craigslist; rebuilt AX15, AX5, for $650 with core. I talked to him last year and he siad he's a retired mechanic / jeep guy and has been rebuilding these for many years, told a convincing story and sounded liek a reasonable guy as far as i can tell.
So i got back in touch with him a couple weeks ago and we were able to nail down a date for memorial day weekend to make an exchange.
I spend memorial day weekend in Chincoteague with some old friends. it was on the way back from that weekendn 6 years ago that i bought this jeep in VA. so this year on the way back i'll be picking u a rebuilt transmission. YAY

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Also found a crack in my exhaust manifold, after having to cut one of the bolts at the downpipe.
Looks like I just added “new exhaust manifold” to my to-do list.
I know there are <$100 replacements out there with 50% of reviews saying they cracked within three months.
What type of replacement manifold/header would you get ?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
startdate May 12 2019, another week passes, too little accomplished. Some headway though. I think im finally about done with the teardown portion of this process and im ready to start installing new stuff and putting things back together. Almost.

Manifolds are out. Previously spotted crack in factory exhaust manifold does go all the way around. Goodbye Good riddance, hello Banks Revolver header. should arrive this week.
With the manifolds gone i replaced motor mounts. Just stock style, no brown dog or anything. Had a pair of stock mounts sitting around for about 3 years now waiting to get put on. Driver side stock mount was pretty shot, passenger still intact, but got em both swapped.
I left the trans/t-case loosely attached but supported just by a jack stand under the t-case, this made swapping the motor mounts super simple because i could just wiggle the T-case and scooch the jack stand just enough to shift the engine to line up the motor mounts. So that's done.
Then i wrestled the trans out from underneath. That was almost a disaster becasue i couldnt get it positioned on the trans jack so that is was balanced, so when i pulled it back it kind of almost collapsed oin the floor, but i eventually got it all out without incident.
Separated the t-case, and bell housing, so i can swap this core for a rebuilt one. Only problem is one of the t-case studs came out and is stuck in the transmission case, the bolt is too long to come out. guess i'll have to see if the transmission guy has another to give me.
I'll elaborate on that later with a pic.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
LIST TIME

The OOPS list is growing, but not too bad yet.
This is a list of other stuff that shows up along the way outside the original scope of work that i will have to fix or address.
  • Rear shock upper bolts broke off (ordered BPE'sto fix)
  • cross member / skid plate rivnuts - a few of them are stripped out and spinning, or missing.
  • Exhaust Manifold - snapped flange bolt and cracked manifiold - getting replaced with new Banks header
  • Air Box - snapped one bolt (probably not important)
  • Transmission Pilot Bearing came out when i pulled the transmission. now i jhave to take off the flex plate and re-seat the pilot bearing.
  • one Clutch fork spring clip is broken
  • One T-case stud is stuck in the trans housing.
So far nothing major or project-halting, but enough to add time and annoyance.

Next steps are the work in the engine bay:
  • Valve Cover: Clean, Paint, replace PCV/CCV valves and gaskets, reinstall w/new felpro gasket.
  • Oil Pan: Remove, Clean, Paint, Reinstall with new Fel Pro gasket.
  • Rear main Seal: replace while oil pan is off.
  • Oil Filter Adapter: Replace o-ring
  • Try to clean all the freaking oil and slime and gunk off of everything.
  • Power Cables: install the MeanLemons battery and ground cables i ordered a couple years ago
  • Flush radiator and refill (already drained)
  • Remove stock Steering gear box
  • side note, drain and flush PS fluid will be necessary
  • Evaluate if i should wait for new steering box, spacer, and parts, and install them before proceeding to next step
  • Install intake/exhaust manifolds with new gasket and new banks header.
  • Reconnect all the crap and button everything up.
Damn thats quite a list in itself, and the only non-essential list item is replacing the steering gear box.

After that list is done i can move onto
  • axles rehab
  • new suspension install
  • new steering install
  • SYE install
  • Reinstall trans/t-case drivetrain etc
  • GO WHEELING - oh , wait, not yet? damn.

·
Registered
876 Posts
drain and flush PS fluid
So glad you made that list.
Forgot to suck the fluid out of my power steering reservoir when I changed my oil. I checked it but forgot that I added sucking it out every April as part of my maintenance schedule.
Do you own a rivnut tool?

·
Registered
876 Posts
No, I have to look into how to fix those slipped rivnuts preferably without welding
Thinking just grind/cut them out and replace them.
I bought the Astro 1442. Have not gotten as much use out of it as I thought I would have but some plans changed. Seems like an OK tool. The instructions are a little confusing. Not even sure if I have it set up exactly like it is supposed to be when using. And cause I wanted to have, just in case, a 3/8" mandrel I had to buy it separately. Thinking both cost me about $45 when I did buy them. Of course a little while after I found that I came across the Smittybilt one. And it comes with M10 and a 3/8" mandrels. No M5 or 10-24 like the Astro but thinking more useful sizes. Plus at the time I want to say it was less then $35 on some 4X4 retailers website

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-1442-Setter/dp/B003TODXQW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=Astro+1442&qid=1557759371&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-1442-3-8-16A/dp/B01F9A4PHE/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_lp_tr_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3TYS09E4STFFMJCWB7PH

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-2834-Black-Nutsert-Tool/dp/B01HDYW44K/ref=asc_df_B01HDYW44K/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241896598945&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14374840268086371999&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003392&hvtargid=pla-524049154200&psc=1

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks for the tips Ralph I’ll check em out!

21 - 40 of 233 Posts