Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been planning on wiring a amp for a sub in my Cherokee, i have the stock cassette deck, which i actually like because of its simplicity, but i came to the realization its so old it probably doesn't have RCA outputs for a amp, i am going to take it out tommorow and double check, but is it necessary to replace the stock deck or is there another way? thanks!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I have ONE 10"(600W) in my XJ and it's perfect!

·
Registered
929 Posts
This would be more than sufficient and would take up minimal room.

jeepxjsubwooferpod

I plan on getting it for mine in the near future.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
This would be more than sufficient and would take up minimal room. I plan on getting it for mine in the near future.

jeepxjsubwooferpod
I've heard they aren't really worth the money and don't sound all that great

·
Registered
929 Posts
Really? Yeah...but I don't want to give up space to a box though. I may just do a sound bar then...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont think you guys understand the question lol, sorry, but i got a nice box for free and ive got the subs coming soon too, and yes i like the simplicity of the stock cassette stereo, i can still plug in mp3s through an aux cable, but my question is is there a way to wire the amp to a stock stereo without have the sub outputs? i may have to spend some m money and just have somebody install it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
IIRC, most amps can do a line level input, if you tap off the wires for say the rear speakers. I know the ~7 year old Pioneer and MTX amps I own will both do it. But you want to make sure your amp has a crossover or low-pass filter built in, so you aren't sending highs to the sub. And I know when I had mine hooked up that way for a brief period, it didn't sound the best in my opinion. But I prefer to have a lot of control over what I'm sending to the sub and the full-range speakers, and you may have better luck than me, since I was trying it in a regular cab Ranger at the time.

I hope that answered your questions... If you want, when I get back in town tonight I can snap some pictures of the inputs I'm speaking of on my amps.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i dont think you guys understand the question lol, sorry, but i got a nice box for free and ive got the subs coming soon too, and yes i like the simplicity of the stock cassette stereo, i can still plug in mp3s through an aux cable, but my question is is there a way to wire the amp to a stock stereo without have the sub outputs? i may have to spend some m money and just have somebody install it.
yes you can with a line line output converter it reduces the incoming speaker-level signals so you can use RCA cable to make the connection to your amp. The converter features adjustable gain settings on each channel, and it's compatible with almost any car stereo.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes you can with a line line output converter it reduces the incoming speaker-level signals so you can use RCA cable to make the connection to your amp. The converter features adjustable gain settings on each channel, and it's compatible with almost any car stereo.
this is what ive found also, but im not entirely sure how it just picks up the low signals if its running off the rear speaker inputs, i think ill just go to my local audio shop and get a price quote

·
Registered
180 Posts
Really? Yeah...but I don't want to give up space to a box though. I may just do a sound bar then...
If You dont want to loose the space, you could find someone to custom build a fiberglass box to fit in the side then just buy your own high quality sub

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Just a heads up, those line out converters work but not the greatest. The problem is they will draw from the speakers they are attached to. I know this from experience, but you can get another amp for your door speakers to overcome this if you would like.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
This would be more than sufficient and would take up minimal room.

jeepxjsubwooferpod

I plan on getting it for mine in the near future.
I have that same xj pod with a JL Audio sub and it sounds pretty good but it also depends on the sub you use and the amp.
if your gonna use the factory tape deck to listen to you mp3 player and usin the adapter, your gonna have alot of distortion at higher volumes. changing the head unit would be the wisest choice and you will have more options with your sound stage then jst bass and trebble.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Rob,

I have an aftermarket mp3/cd player. I plan on running a small JL w6 or w7 sub with a JL amp and speakers. I like the JL stuff a lot. I've run them on my other vehicles and they sound great.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
To me JL has some of the best sound quality n they haven't changed like rockford or kicker have. The W7 series subs r nuts but require enormous amouts of wattage to get them to perform rite. I'm settin up my cousins Acura Tl wit a full JL setup n he cringes when he hears how costly it is. I wanna take out my JL W0 n put in a W3 instead. But in all honesty I'm a fan of the old school car audio subs and amps.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
x2 on replacing the head unit.

You can pick up a nice head unit for about 100 bucks or so new. then you have preamp outputs and a lot more control over how the audio sounds. There are a lot of aftermarket options ( 3.5mm input, sd memory card, usb, ipod controls, rca inputs, etc.)

do some research and decide what will work best for you

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
A lot of name brand companies sel inexpensive headunits that come wit front usb n input jacks for those who want to expand there litenin options.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i have been planning on wiring a amp for a sub in my Cherokee, i have the stock cassette deck, which i actually like because of its simplicity, but i came to the realization its so old it probably doesn't have RCA outputs for a amp, i am going to take it out tommorow and double check, but is it necessary to replace the stock deck or is there another way? thanks!
No stock radio has RCA jacks. You can use what is called a RCA converter, you tap it into the speaker wire lines. Very easy to install just four wires or five if you have ground issues. I am not all set with paypal or anything really but I do have these items because I used to own a stereo shop for 7 years.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No stock radio has RCA jacks. You can use what is called a RCA converter, you tap it into the speaker wire lines. Very easy to install just four wires or five if you have ground issues. I am not all set with paypal or anything really but I do have these items because I used to own a stereo shop for 7 years.
i made this thread in march... by april i had it all figured out lolzz, i bought a rca converter and it was garbage, but my kenwood amp came with a plug that allowed incoming speaker signals, so i just tapped and solder all connections to the rear speakers, plugged it in, and it worked great! i was surprised, didn't use any RCA's at all!, only puts out the lows like it should, and it specifically says it has, "signal turn on", so no need to run a turn on wire for the amp, as soon as radio signals start it comes on

·
Registered
323 Posts
i made this thread in march... by april i had it all figured out lolzz, i bought a rca converter and it was garbage, but my kenwood amp came with a plug that allowed incoming speaker signals, so i just tapped and solder all connections to the rear speakers, plugged it in, and it worked great! i was surprised, didn't use any RCA's at all!, only puts out the lows like it should, and it specifically says it has, "signal turn on", so no need to run a turn on wire for the amp, as soon as radio signals start it comes on
Yes that is the same as using an RCA converter. It is called a 'high input" when you do not have rca inputs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts