Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off I have no idea if i'm posting this in the right spot so if it isn't I apologize. Now my question. I have scoured the forum and haven't had any luck with this topic. Has anyone done this? Used the factory bumper with a winch plate? I'm curious because I believe winch before anything else. Lift and tires and light bars don't get you out. So I want to know if there is a diy route or if i'm stuck buying a prefab or having one built. Any insight would be great. Thank you.

ps it's a 98 4 door xj sport

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
The only way to do that is to fabricate. There are some out there that have tried to keep their winch hidden, but it has to my knowledge all been custom work

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmkay, thats kinda what I thought. At one point I was thinking about using the stock bumper off a jk and then a jk winch plate but that proved to be something that would not be strong as there would be to many points where the actual frame horns aren't used. Well i'll continue puttin money away for a winch bumper. Thanks for the response. 🤘🏻

·
Premium Member
10,255 Posts
Detours USA usde to make a thing called a back bone, basically a no frills winch plate. YOu can try contacting Mark. Takes him awhile to fill orders though

·
Super Moderator
11,054 Posts
I installed a JCR DIY winch bumper. It sticks out a lot! I believe with a little fab work, these can be pulled in at least 4 or more inches and if you run synthetic rope your fairlead will be shorter also.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I've seen guys cut out and fab a new core support, making room to tuck in a more hidden winch and winch mount. Then a custom bumper or a cut up stock one go over it. Either way, its a lot of serious fab work, because the stock bumper/mounts/coresupport are not built to hold a winch and the forces one creates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts