Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Stupid me....

4K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  2drx4 
#1 · (Edited)
Not so smart buy on my part...84 XJ

Well, the XJ I picked up I knew didn't run. Being told and hoping just the head gasket was finished I picked it up for a good price. Now I am sitting here with the head off staring at a freakin crack in number 2 cylinder wall.

I am under strict orders from the wife that this is a CHEAP toy...now I am stuck with a Jeep that doesn't run....and I need to do something with it. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Been down your road buddy. If it were me I would continue with that one. you have already put some work into her. so why not right?? Im going through the same thing with my ranger now. Only because it really needs it im sure.

#5 ·
I'd go with the engine swap.... Esp. since you are doing a swap of the same engine, you have all the brackets, accessories and everything. Should be able to score one for decently cheap... Look around on here and the other sites, not to mention ebay and the local JY's and stuff.

#6 ·
I'd probably keep it and swap the engine. It's up to you though, if you're looking to have fun ASAP then selling it may be the better option, and just recover what you paid for. You have several options, find the one that works best for you.

#8 ·
Being an '85 I imagine you have the 2.8L V6?

It is not worth keeping. At all. I hate to say it, but XJs with that engine are totally undesirable, as it takes a fair amount of work to swap anything worthwhile in them. Basically you'd need a whole parts truck. So, you might as well just get rid of it...

If it has the 2.5L I4 then it isn't the end of the world. Get a newer salvage motor. The 4cyl is almost painful to drive, but it is at least reliable.

#11 ·
Yeah, but it'll be another $500 to swap it in. At least.

Off the top of my head, he'd need:

Tranny
Tranny mount
Clutch/flex-plate/flywheel/TQ or whatever given the circumstances
4.0 motor mounts
4.0 rad
Modify the rad support
'85 - modify 50% of the firewall
4.0 fuel pump
4.0 fuel lines
4.0 harness
Perhaps a different tcase (inputs, he has a NP207 anyways so might as well get a NP231)
2 different driveshafts (GKN front shaft is junk anyways)

At that point it is like, 'f-bomb this, I could get a working 4.0 jeep for WAY less'. My 2dr/4.0/AX-15 only cost me $500.

#12 ·
no i meant a 4.0 cherokee for 500

like...if you really really look...you can find an old cherokee 90-94..or w.e..for that much...with some tlc in need or w.e...not to swap the 4.0...that will be a lot of money...

#16 ·
yeah just look around...take longer..but dont put money into that engine...one thing i will do is find a 4.0 cherokee and trade axles....

follow my drift? smaller engine? deeper gears? ok you got it

#21 ·
After looking around here and all over the net, the 2.5/auto's with the off-road/towing package are supposed to have 4.56 gears. How can you tell if you have the off-road package? The 84 Wagoneer I picked up for a parts rig doesn't have a hitch so I know it doesn't have the towing package. I just haven't had a chance to jack up the rear and check driveshaft turns since we are sitting under a blanket of snow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.