Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since 10 am till 7pm ive been messing with this bastard. i rented a trans jack at 4pm, not much help since i cant get it to tilt how i need it to because of the stinkin transfercase

·
Registered
303 Posts
Double check to make sure the clutch disk didn't move off to the side in one of your attempts to slide the tranny in.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
You MUST have a (what do that call it) a spline that looks like the front of your transmission. You will be there for hours and hours trying to stab that transmission otherwise.

Even when it is centered in the clutch disk it still takes a little patients, but no where like the other method of pray, cuss, and pray.

·
Registered
607 Posts
1) Remove the transfer case. Don't try to put the transmission and transfer case in together - it's an unwieldy bastid, and it's just going to frustrate you (and probably hurt you, if it hasn't already.)

2) Is it a manual? Did you remove/change the clutch? Make sure the disc is properly aligned if you did, those plastic alignment tools that come with clutch kits aren't the greatest.

2A) Is it an automatic? If it is, make sure the torque converter oil pump drive slots are properly seated on the tangs of the inner oil pump rotor - if they're not, it won't go in all the way. It will be stuck out about 5/8".

3) If everything is in place and lined up, I've found it useful to install a couple of long studs in two of the holes to "pre-align" the thing and help hold it on course. The two lower bellhousing screws should be threaded 7/16"-14UNC, the upper ones 3/8"-16UNC. Studs for the upper are easy to find, for the lower you can cut them out of threaded rod. Make them at least two and a half inches long, and seat a minimum of one-half inch into the engine block (if the AMC242 "went metric" in later years - which I doubt, but I've been wrong before - you're probably looking at M8-1.25 of M10-1.5 for the upper, and M10 or M12 for the lower. Threaded rod should be available.)

I have long found the judicious placement of threaded studs in various assemblies to save great wear and tear on my nerves...

·
Registered
307 Posts
he's got 18mm bolts all around the block...being a 4 cylinder 60 degree gm bellhousing.

I don't take the transfercase off for a trans install...it's very useful though it gets in the way.

you need to have a helper for the install.

put the t-case in 4wd and push one of the slots in gear so when you turn the front output yoke it turns the input shaft on the transmission. make sure you've anti-seized the splines on the input shaft.

jack up, have someone push up on the t-case to help level it.

slide forward. when you get the pilot bushing part of the input through the center hole on the clutch, adjust height (VERY slowly) to get it aligned vertically and horizontally.

slide it in. turn the front output yoke of the t-case if you need to to align the splines.

slide forward, constantly checking if it's level and moving to sit flush to the engine block.

as stated, make sure the clutch disc has the same spline as your trans' input spline.

from there it's just more of the same t hing...slow and steady does it.

I've got ax5's down to a science now...had 4 of them in and out of my 86 comanche with camaro motor, dropped a motor in an 86 cherokee I used to have with 4 cylinder and 5 speed, did 4wd conversion with another MJ friend on his MJ, and removed several 2wd ones. they're really not bad once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, yea im used to t5s. ive done some hard ones like the intrepids without a tranny jack.i rented a tranny jack and tried for about 2 hrs before i called it a night. im just not getting it level enough or the disc may have slipped. i need to get the trans weight more center. the jacks dont tilt very easy either.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Oh. I got used to swapping Peugeots in my 88XJ (went through more transmissions than I did clutches. Oddly enough, I now know what the problem is, since I did my "Final Report/Analysis" for Materials & Processes on a BA-10 I'd happened to have just pulled out during finals week...) so that's what I was working with. Beyond that, it's Muncies and the old NP manuals that were in ChryCo musclecars.

I've owned two vehicles with the 60-degree V6 - a 1985 Cavalier (it changed its own oil. I never could get that damned leak fixed!) and a 1992 Corsica (3.1L - ran like a scalded dog. And, it didn't leak. Go figure.)

I am most certainly not impressed with the 2.8L V6! And, it seems that mine is not an uncommon opinion...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh. I got used to swapping Peugeots in my 88XJ (went through more transmissions than I did clutches. Oddly enough, I now know what the problem is, since I did my "Final Report/Analysis" for Materials & Processes on a BA-10 I'd happened to have just pulled out during finals week...) so that's what I was working with. Beyond that, it's Muncies and the old NP manuals that were in ChryCo musclecars.

I've owned two vehicles with the 60-degree V6 - a 1985 Cavalier (it changed its own oil. I never could get that damned leak fixed!) and a 1992 Corsica (3.1L - ran like a scalded dog. And, it didn't leak. Go figure.)

I am most certainly not impressed with the 2.8L V6! And, it seems that mine is not an uncommon opinion...
doesnt peugeot make pretty problematic cars as well.
i dont know if the 2.5l is any better than the 2.8 gm based v6 it does make a bit more hp but less torque. my yota 22r carbbed makes better power than my 2.5L
well its about 1 in the afternoon here im about to give it another go, im pretty damn sore from fighting this thing. im leaving the tc on it doesnt leak and and i dont want to have a leak from not sealing it right and they are a pita to get sealed up right

·
Registered
307 Posts
you got someone helping you? if not, don't try...it's not easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you got someone helping you? if not, don't try...it's not easy to do yourself.
nope, no help....so anyways i returned the tranny jack still didnt have it in even after separating the tc.the guy at the rental place was cool and waived the fee.
me and a buddy determined it was the pilot bearing over the fone. im pretty sure i have a older x4 with a smaller pilot shaft so i also wasnt sure if i installed it right, i dont remember how the old one was in the flywheel and when i installed the new one i just put it flush with the clutch side. so i decided to take a small deep socket and set the pilot in further. i was trying to be careful since you can push it in too far and it will go out the back of the flywheel and floa t around in the end of the crank if the pocket is deep enough. once i did that it went in without too much trouble and i got my 2 side bottom bolts started so its all bolted up. im waiting on the rebuild kit for the external slave and im going to have to get a new cps from the boneyard or fix where i pinched the wires in the bell housing,oops!
so now i just need to know where to fill the x4 and does it take a special 90w gear oil?and does the transfer case take any special kind of atf? and there's no seal between the tc and trans right?where the cases meet right?
i think ive covered all my bases on whats left to do or needs to be done while im down here right?
im trying to do this the right way. i did skip one thing that i wish i hadnt but since i dont know the year of this trany i didnt bother replacing the front bearing which is a lil worn since the input has some play in it. but heay i have no clue that my motor wont just up and blow up on me so i dont wanna put more money and time into a lame azz 4speed with a rough sounding motor.
so all in al i did my rear main seal, resurfaced the flywheel, im rebuilding my slave and im going to get a good valve cover gasket and possibly do the oil pan as well so i can inspect the bottom end.
so what gear oil type?
what tranfercase atf type?
am i missing anything?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts