Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered my 1999 stock 8.25 Rear with 3.07 gears for manual trans came with factory Limited Slip.
I am swapping my rear with a stock 3.55 rear 8.25 from a 98 auto.
Can I pull the LSD part from my 99 and swap it into the 98? Will I have to adjust shims and reset backlash or anything? Or would it be plug and play? I have zero experience with any gears at all except for removing the C-clips.

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
I discovered my 1999 stock 8.25 Rear with 3.07 gears for manual trans came with factory Limited Slip.
I am swapping my rear with a stock 3.55 rear 8.25 from a 98 auto.
Can I pull the LSD part from my 99 and swap it into the 98? Will I have to adjust shims and reset backlash or anything? Or would it be plug and play? I have zero experience with any gears at all except for removing the C-clips.
Technically yes. You have to pull the carrier and replace the ring gears. but you should check backlash and gear pattern before and match it after.

Here is a good read on setting up gears. Billa Vista Gear Setup Bible

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you are swapping your old carrier into the new axle it will need to be reset. Do not skip out on resetting them.

If you were just putting a lunch box locker into the new open diff you wouldn't need to reset gears but you have to be careful when pulling apart the 8.25 it doesn't use shims it uses threaded side adjusters to set the carrier and everything will need to go back in the same way it came out.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/gear-install-chryco-8-25-a-109859/

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Technically yes. You have to pull the carrier and replace the ring gears. but you should check backlash and gear pattern before and match it after.

Here is a good read on setting up gears. Billa Vista Gear Setup Bible

THAT looks like a good read on the how and why of gearing. I’ve just been skimming it here and there so far but it looks very thorough and easy to understand.
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts