Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not had any problems not running a sye and im running 6.5 lift . If the time comes where I start breaking than I guess Ill replace it then.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
4" and no SYE, if I was really wheelin hard i would probably change it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I ran around with a 3.5" lift (or maybe it was 4.5") without one. But I only had 31s/stock diffs and basically wheeled it as a stocker (just to annoy the full-size guys).

For any real wheeling... You NEED a HD SYE (not a hack'n'crap) and a proper double cardon rear shaft (read, ground for high angle, and a longer slip would be nice) is a big bonus. I don't care about amount of lift, you need it for the strength.

I've seen the stock mainshaft snap a couple times. And I've seen them mushroom the tailcone. Not awesome.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Don't have one. Don't even have a t-case drop with 4.5" of lift. I've only ever felt vibes around 80 mph, and I have no need to drive that fast anyways. Never had any issues on the trail either.

If I go higher (which I plan to do at some point) I'll get an SYE just to avoid any future issues. But my friend ran somewhere around 8.5" lift and 38s with just a homemade t-case drop. Used to drive the XJ to work everyday.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
You guys are lucky. I threw on a 2" AAL when i bought my cherokee and had the worst vibes. I threw in a sye kit as soon as i could and running it still with my 4.5" lift now.

:p

·
Registered
642 Posts
My Hack-n-Tap works great. Never a prob.

*Note: Eric over on NAXJA is running the same HnT as me and....well that pretty much tells you right there :p

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Hack-n-Tap works great. Never a prob.

*Note: Eric over on NAXJA is running the same HnT as me and....well that pretty much tells you right there :p
:D I he is one of the people I am referring to not having any problems with one. IMO its all in the installation, if you properly install them they will work great.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I run about 5-5.5" lift and have not had one up to this point. I get a slight vibe around 40 mph, but nothing to even be concerned about. I have a 1" t-case drop installed though.

My current t-case is toast though, so a local Jeeper has one for sale with an SYE already installed. I'm gonna grab that one and get a custom shaft made and be done with it.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I run about 5-5.5" lift and have not had one up to this point. I get a slight vibe around 40 mph, but nothing to even be concerned about. I have a 1" t-case drop installed though.

My current t-case is toast though, so a local Jeeper has one for sale with an SYE already installed. I'm gonna grab that one and get a custom shaft made and be done with it.
Thats the way to go right there:cheers:

·
Registered
330 Posts
i am at 6.5" on my 01 and dont have one or a SYE, i got no vibes at 4.5" but at 6.5 i have some from 30 to 40.

And the reason i havent is cuz i am a poor college kid that lives on my own lol.

but i plan on doing the TH350 yoke hack and tap and a front DS. soon (as soon as my local yard gets the yoke i need lol)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
The older Jeeps can go much higher before needing a SYE. I didn't need one but I had already purchased it so I decided I may as well put it on. It is a HnT because I wanted to keep my 242 and that is all that is available for it. Never had any vibes before the kit nor after it either.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The older Jeeps can go much higher before needing a SYE. I didn't need one but I had already purchased it so I decided I may as well put it on. It is a HnT because I wanted to keep my 242 and that is all that is available for it. Never had any vibes before the kit nor after it either.
Well its good that you got it even though you may not have had noticeable vibes.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have an SYE in my Jeep. I now only need to carry one driveshaft as a spair due to the fact I run a Front driveshaft in the front and back.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My '92 stationwagon with the 242 has about 4.75" front & 5" rear lift and last Summer my rear driveshaft popped out on the trail. Also I have always had vibes since the first 3" lift. Had a Tom Woods H&T installed a couple of months ago. Steering wheel has vibes, but my ds stays put. BTW, we used an XJ front shaft for the rear.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts