Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any links on this? I wanna do it to my jeep this summer. I just need to know what to do with my electric, I dont wanna ruin the windows or the locks on it. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
You may have to cut the wires to your door electricals and install some quick discos. Then you can take your doors of and shove the wiring back through the holes into the kick panel while your doors are off.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I did it to my jeep last summer and it was fun for the first few days. It's really not practical. You can't keep anything of value in your car, and when it's cold out you will freeze your ass. So basically you can drive during the day and that's it.

It's a pain in the arsh to take them off and put back on, even if you do the hinge mod. As far as the wiring you can just crimp them when you put the doors back on.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am going to pull the fronts off my parts XJ and turn them into half doors. Might want to think about that?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't listen to the guys telling you to cut the wires. You don't have to cut wires whatsoever. Their are electrical connectors that you can unplug behind the kickpanels on both driver and passenger sides as well as a single connector at the base of the B-pillar for the rear doors if you have power windows/locks.

Removing the doors can be done but its not necessarily something I would recommend for the faint of heart. It may be a chore to get them to line up again afterward.

As far as write-ups I know there are some over on JeepForum.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing about the wiring connectors behind the kick panels but ericsxj beat me to it.
also keep in mind if you remove the front doors and you have power winows keep in mind while the doors are off you will not be able to raise or lower the rear windows.

for those that dont know but have seen the "cherokee builders guide" book
mr ERIC just so happens to be the author so pretty much everything he says he knows what he talkin about.

there are also differences ion the hinges generally speaking the changover was the same time everything else changed; between 96 and 97 BUT I have seen a couple of guys sayin their 97's and even a 98 here and there that still have the 96 & older style hinges.

the 96 style hinges can be easily cut and then the doors can be lifted off and slid back on just like wrangler doors. the 97+ style hingles are a bit more difficult and once they are cut its practically impossible to get them to line back up properly. if you like having well sealing doors with no wind noise at highway speeds DONT DO IT!!!!!

I want to be able to remove my doors as well but the lack of security as well as being practically impossible to line back up afterwards keeps me from doing it. I take too many road trips in my XJ and I NEED AC in the summer.
I really dont even need removeable doors I just wish I had half doors for wheeling.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I did it to my jeep last summer and it was fun for the first few days. It's really not practical. You can't keep anything of value in your car, and when it's cold out you will freeze your ass. So basically you can drive during the day and that's it.

It's a pain in the arsh to take them off and put back on, even if you do the hinge mod. As far as the wiring you can just crimp them when you put the doors back on.
how is it not practical? you have a locking glove box. and how are you cold? put the doors back on when its cold. lol. my doors close like they werent even modified. and they go on and off very easily IMHO. plus it looks badass.

old pic, but you get the idea.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Taking the doors off of a XJ is no different than owning a Wrangler when it comes to security. So that should not even be a issue. As fro lining up I've heard from people on both sides of the fence, that they do and don't line up after. It comes down to each Jeep is different, you won't know if they line up again until you do he mod...

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
how is it not practical? you have a locking glove box. and how are you cold? put the doors back on when its cold. lol. my doors close like they werent even modified. and they go on and off very easily IMHO. plus it looks badass.

old pic, but you get the idea.
Well I got mine to line up, but a ton of people don't. It gets cold at night, which is when I do a lot of driving, lol. Maybe your area is a little safer, but here your shit will get ripped off if you leave it laying out, and if you don't have doors, I am sure a guy would have no problem taking a screw driver to your dash and rip the stereo out.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Anyone have any links on this? I wanna do it to my jeep this summer. I just need to know what to do with my electric, I dont wanna ruin the windows or the locks on it. Thanks for the help!!!
This question is to everyone. Isn't taking the doors off illegal to drive on the road?

·
Registered
81 Posts
ok first off so far those of you who have done it in the few posts above mine YOU ALL HAVE PRE-97 style which makes yours EASY to do and keep things lined up nicely.
also YES it is ILLEGAL to drive without doors on your cherokee. on the XJ the doors are designed to be an integral part of the body structure and therefore by law is required to be on the vehicle. I am pretty sure this will be an "across the board" law no matter what state you live in. if someone can prove to me there is a state that will let you legally remove doors and drive on the road I would be shocked, its basically no different than removing the seatbelts or the air bags. its a safety feature and has to be there. now whether the local law enforcement will give you problems over it is a different story. wranglers are different because the body structure is designed to have all its integrity and safety features intact WITHOUT the doors on.

and as for a locking glovebox what good does that do when all you need is ANY chrysler vehicle's key to unlock the glovebox. I use my neon's key to unlock my glovebox all the time. PLUS there is not as much TUFFY products available to us XJ owners as there are for open top jeep guys.
I wish there was a center console "vault" or glovebox "vault" available for the 97+ XJ's. I would have it high on my want list it were

·
Registered
135 Posts
ok first off so far those of you who have done it in the few posts above mine YOU ALL HAVE PRE-97 style which makes yours EASY to do and keep things lined up nicely.
also YES it is ILLEGAL to drive without doors on your cherokee. on the XJ the doors are designed to be an integral part of the body structure and therefore by law is required to be on the vehicle. I am pretty sure this will be an "across the board" law no matter what state you live in. if someone can prove to me there is a state that will let you legally remove doors and drive on the road I would be shocked, its basically no different than removing the seatbelts or the air bags. its a safety feature and has to be there. now whether the local law enforcement will give you problems over it is a different story. wranglers are different because the body structure is designed to have all its integrity and safety features intact WITHOUT the doors on.

and as for a locking glovebox what good does that do when all you need is ANY chrysler vehicle's key to unlock the glovebox. I use my neon's key to unlock my glovebox all the time. PLUS there is not as much TUFFY products available to us XJ owners as there are for open top jeep guys.
I wish there was a center console "vault" or glovebox "vault" available for the 97+ XJ's. I would have it high on my want list it were
I don't think there are too many cops that know about the integrity of an xj or wranglers structure. So i'd say that if y'all want to remove your doors then go for it. Thats what I'm gonna do on my rock crawler project

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts

There isn't a law against going doorless(at least in CA). I have talked to a cop and he even looked it up in his little book. All he says that he could write you up for is having a hazardous vehicle, and he said even at that he highly doubts that I would get pulled over for being doorless. He did say however that if I was to look "suspicious" that he could use that as an excuse to pull me over.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts