Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... cause I wanna buy some gears for my current axles, I want to do 4.56 ratio for them for the 33s I have currently. This is despite the fact that I have 1 tons and 5.38s for those for when I make that swap..... but that may not be for awhile yet. At least with the 4.56 gears, I can get those installed right away and at least enjoy the jeep some more right now, rather than have to burn my clutch on more technical trails.....

Money is no object, and I can do the work no problem, just I dont want to have to do things twice, wish I would just done the gears long ago after I went ot the 33s, when I got the 1 tons originally.....

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Noteworthy items:

I have lunchbox lockers front and rear

I would need to buy a new carrier for the d30

I have the 29 spline C8.25

My engine is stroked to 4.7l and is producing a conservative 270hp

It goes great in 4low now, but I'd like more control

There is potential for these axles to get 35s

Even though I will be swapping these out for the tons, I still have a 6 speed wrangler on stock axles and gears (d30,d35, 3.07s) that can usecan upgrade. I know most opt for the f8.8 as rear swap, but I wouldn't mind swapping this set over, its an all around upgrade for that jeep. With that in mind, the work wouldn't be a waste at least.

·
Super Moderator
10,826 Posts
I'm sitting on 4.5" of lift, 4.56 gears(from quick performance) spartan lockers front and rear. D30HP and C8.25 27 spline. Yes, you will need a new carrier for the the Dana 30. I bought a new one, it was a Dana and only like 70 bucks. I say do it! the change is a world of difference. My stock 4.0 and AW4 have plenty of power (4lo) for the rocks and trails. Make sure and get plenty of shims for the dana 30 for the carrier and pinion. My D30HP doesn't use a crush sleeve, it's all shims. If you have a HP, buy several oil slingers, they don't come with the shim kits. Buy an extra set of bearings for the pinon and carrier. Plan on a couple weekends for both axles. The C8.25 is leaf spring, you'll have to get a coil spring conversion to make it work in the wrangler. Anyhoo I still say do the upgrade. then you can wheel the shit out of it while building the tons. Woot Woot!

And FWIW, my write-up on my gears. upgrade to 4.56 gears

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
IMO, thats too much work and money and parts to justify anything. Just swap to the tons and call it a day. Doing things twice is stupid and you don't even know for 100% if you will want/need to swap your current axles in the wrangler later.

Tons and done says I.

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
Since you are going to possibly use the axles in your wrangler, go for it

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 for, 1 against as of now. Id rather not spend the money, but, I dont know when ill actually have the pole barn to start working on the one tons, to do what I need to do to them. I can set some gears outside in the snow, cant do welding without power.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

And then there's this here. Kinda hard to say no to that right there. A buddy has a shop that I can do the worj in, but I don't wanna have to drive everytime I need to work on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,826 Posts
That's a good deal on those gears, Damn.
Why the new cross pins? Didn't the lockers include them? Are you hp or low pinion?

·
Premium Member
9,668 Posts
Yes, not bad

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a good deal on those gears, Damn.
Why the new cross pins? Didn't the lockers include them? Are you hp or low pinion?
They did not include them, and I've seen enough breakage in other peoples junk to warrant me buying a new one for added security. As far as I know, those parts are original.

Also, I have the hp 30. This kit is intended for hp. Ive eyeballed the new oil baffle as well, I feel like that sucker will get destroyed upon race removal.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I didn't realize how good of a deal that is. Crazy to think the Yukon version (YGK003) is double the price of the USA Gear one (ZGK003).
I was going to suggest calling Quick Performance to see if they would beat or match that price but they might only offer the Yukon, Im not sure. I know calling is the way to go though, the website never matches up with phone prices.

I think my answer remains the same: if I were you, I'd save that few hundred dollars for the shop you are building since materials costs are through the roof right now, or put it towards upgrading the climate control to keep you more comfortable to work on stuff later. Being able to get more use of the parts by throwing them in the wrangler is nice, so its a question of whether you want that for sure or not. The little voice in the back of my mind says there are too many variables and potential losses for me. But I think and rethink everything, then ask you guys, and rethink it all again, so... you could say I'm the hesitant one of the group.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't realize how good of a deal that is. Crazy to think the Yukon version (YGK003) is double the price of the USA Gear one (ZGK003).
I was going to suggest calling Quick Performance to see if they would beat or match that price but they might only offer the Yukon, Im not sure. I know calling is the way to go though, the website never matches up with phone prices.

I think my answer remains the same: if I were you, I'd save that few hundred dollars for the shop you are building since materials costs are through the roof right now, or put it towards upgrading the climate control to keep you more comfortable to work on stuff later. Being able to get more use of the parts by throwing them in the wrangler is nice, so its a question of whether you want that for sure or not. The little voice in the back of my mind says there are too many variables and potential losses for me. But I think and rethink everything, then ask you guys, and rethink it all again, so... you could say I'm the hesitant one of the group.
Again, you raise a valid point, but I won't have issues getting the material for the shop, monetary wise. Its going to take time, like maybe by June or July, regardless to complete that to be able to work in it. At least with the gears, I can get em done here in the winter and be able to take full advantage of the jeeps capability throughout the spring and summer, even the fall. After that point, I can start working on the tons and take my time with it. The axles will go to the wrangler after I get the work done to the axles and the material to get a jump on the build. The swap may take place in the winter of next year at the earliest of my estimations.

Suppose I should have added to the end of the title "or help me take the leap."

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to Ron there at Ron's machining before placing my order, again, very friendly and helpful. Sorry XJSuperman, I would have liked to work with your guys, but the deals I get on the packages from here are amazing and hard to pass up. But it is done

They had everything in stock that I needed, so they'll have the parts out in short order. Going to help a buddy with some axle woes fin the meantime, then I'll start on my junk as I should have everything by then.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
No that was a smoking deal, like I said, I don't think QP offers the USAGear kit anyhow. I'll have to remember RMS next time Im looking for something. QP has been on my mind since I just bought lubelockers and a spartan locker from them for the Yota and it was the best price I could find anywhere. But I didn't know about RMS last week...

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll have my parts by Thursday. Probably won't be started for a few weeks, but thats okay. Not sure if I should continue to post work in here or build thread, already thinking build thread will be better for that portion.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Build thread for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts