Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some advice please...
i have a stripped bolt hole, into aluminum (probably my fault over tightening !)
the bolt is good - and fits a regular M8 nut, which i think is 1.25 pitch ?!
i want to tap the hole and use a coil-thread-insert
but i am confused about the sizes.
Do i drill a M10 hole first?
what size forming/roll tap?
any tips?

·
Registered
298 Posts
What you need to do if you want to keep it original is to put in a helicoil or equivalent. It comes as a kit with an oversized tap and you insert what looks like a spring into it. But you could also tap a M10. To do it you need the correct tap and drill that will be listed on the stem of the tap

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. sorry dont know the name of the part. at the top of the push rods is a block that holds two rockers. theres 2 bolts (a 4inch rod with an inch thread either end, approx). These screw into the engine block, and its these holes that are stripped... i cant replace with larger size bolts, as they go through the fitted block...
So if i get the M8 kit, it will contain slightly larger drill & tap ?
(i live on the edge of the world, i have to get parts/kits online. local garages/shops not very useful here)

Thanl you. i think i will order the M8 kit. i assume if its not right, i still have the option of going next size up...

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
The kit designed for an M8 bolt will have the correct size drill bit. You will basically drill out all the old threads, it doesn't really make the hole much if any bigger. Once the hole is drilled, you then retap the hole to accommodate the heli-coil. You screw the heli-coil in to the newly tapped hole. Some have a little tab at he bottom that you break off to keep the heli-coil from backing out with the bolt. And that is it. f you are drilling into the block, check to see if its a blind hole or goes all the way through. You don't want shavings falling into the block.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts