Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 model year, but I have the old xj style hinges. I was following a great writeup on here as for removal, but can't seem to find it.

I'm dog earing the bottom of the door hinge, but still no luck. Called El Nino who said "Just cut the pin". Thats when I realized I have the old model, where his is fully exposed, mines all hidden. So older XJ guys, how did you do it?

·
Registered
412 Posts
It's easy... Do as you did and remove the door by taking the dirty little torx out. Then buck the bottom third off the hinge. Now if they're anything like the ones I've done (rusted bad) drive the hinge apart with a punch, and take scotchbrite or sandpaper to the pin, then a file to the part of the hinge on the body. You can normally drive the two parts of the hinge apart so that the roll pin is stuck in the upper part still (attaches to the door).

Alternatively, drive the roll pin out completely, and replace it with something else. Say a bolt. I've considered quick pins and will probably do that the next time around, but just drive the roll pin out and not cut the hinge.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
very pimp!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lowes (i hate going there too, former Depot guy), BUT i took the part of the hinge in that still had the bolt, they have an exact 1/4" x 2" pin, same head and everything. Perfect drop in for all of $1.87

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Lowes (i hate going there too, former Depot guy), BUT i took the part of the hinge in that still had the bolt, they have an exact 1/4" x 2" pin, same head and everything. Perfect drop in for all of $1.87
now we can go to jeep fest doorless!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeepfest got canceled. Read it on JT. Treasure coast jeepers are having a show & shine this year, but we ARE doing Jeep Beach. Thats for damn sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts