Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so, before all of this covid crap my wife and I started the painful process of purchasing a new vehicle. This was to be her ride....whatever she wanted. Now keep in mind we have 3 kids . She test drove a new JL ,and a new Tahoe. I found a Gladiator that I absolutely feel in love with. Black on black ,black rims 35''s and what appeared to be about a 4" lift. The price made me a little nauseous. At just south of 55,000$ sticker it was just a dream. My wonderful wife still entertained the idea of one till we brought the kids with us to see how well they fit . First they all sat in a JL 4 door and then the JT. No luck the JT was a couple inches shorter in leg room and wasn't feasible. We ended up with the JL (that's what she wanted all a long) . I still love the Gladiator , to me a Jeep with a bed would be awesome. This is kinda a moot point but I see some of you aren't fans and I'm wondering why? I know it's not a "TRUCK" and nor would I ever expect it to be . Let it rip.......

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
(gathers notecards)

(approaches podium)

Ahem! (clears throat)

First, I'd like to thank you for inviting me to this talk. Now let us begin...

Joking, kinda. My real gripe with the Gladiator isn't the vehicle's fault so much as Jeep/Fiat. I am disgusted that it took over 10 years of teasing the public with concepts, ideas, and customs just to make a vehicle that is built on an already existing chassis. I mean Jeepus Christ, there are how many aftermarket companies that had time to develop truck kits for modern wranglers while Jeep danced around leaking concepts.

We were promised a truck. Jeep didn't deliver. They gave us a 4x4 minivan with a trunk with no roof. I personally wanted to see something I could tow a trailer with (a real trailer). I've been truck hunting for years now, and only briefly entertained the idea of a Gladiator until I ran the numbers and realized it couldn't even pull my XJ to the trails.

So we waited all those years for a small tow rating and a truckbed smaller than the garden cart I pull with the lawnmower.

Too much hype, not enough truck. Other than that its exactly a JL, so no new issues there. Can't wait to see one banged up on the trails. Around here there are a lot of them commuting. A guy at work has one that will probably never see the softtop come off. Not sure why he even bought one with a softtop. Its a rubicon of course, but won't see dirt ever. Anytime I mention Jeep stuff to him and the other coworker they get this messed up look on their faces and get real quiet. Jeep people my ass. Yes Im a little bitter lol.

I will add that explanations and excuses won't change my mind but I'd like to hear why you love it and what practical purpose it will serve you that a regular JL or Ram 1500 or minivan or honda sedan can't. Rant over. ;)

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I see the problem. You expected a true work horse truck. I didnt expect anything more that a production "Brute" something to fill the void of the CJ-8/ MJ. That being said over 1/2 ton of payload and 7600 tow capacity is adequate for my daily use . In fact the Overland w/ 4.7ho is 7200# and the Hemi powered Commander is 7700# I believe . I would never in a thousand years expect Jeep to take away from Rams target market. IMHO they went after the Ranger and Colorado segment. A good friend of mine drove Rangers for more than the 25 yrs I knew him and now has the jeep and likes it better. Why do i love it?It just makes having an impractical vehicle a little more practical. Before you ask, yes I consider my wife's JL impractical. Bed has enough room to throw a couple square bails of hay in or the fruits of a good hunting or fishing trip without trashing the interior. Nothing like trying to scrub blood , or fish slime outta the cargo area. Ever tried to get hay or ticks outta the carpeting, it sucks. The bed though small is still big enough for a trip to Costco (try that in a Wrangler with 3 kids).
I feel ya on the years of hype they build. I've been waiting on the Wagoneer for almost 10 years now. By the time they release it my kids will be outta the house and there will be no need for it.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Ok, I see the problem. You expected a true work horse truck. I didnt expect anything more that a production "Brute" something to fill the void of the CJ-8/ MJ. That being said over 1/2 ton of payload and 7600 tow capacity is adequate for my daily use . In fact the Overland w/ 4.7ho is 7200# and the Hemi powered Commander is 7700# I believe . I would never in a thousand years expect Jeep to take away from Rams target market. IMHO they went after the Ranger and Colorado segment. A good friend of mine drove Rangers for more than the 25 yrs I knew him and now has the jeep and likes it better. Why do i love it?It just makes having an impractical vehicle a little more practical. Before you ask, yes I consider my wife's JL impractical. Bed has enough room to throw a couple square bails of hay in or the fruits of a good hunting or fishing trip without trashing the interior. Nothing like trying to scrub blood , or fish slime outta the cargo area. Ever tried to get hay or ticks outta the carpeting, it sucks. The bed though small is still big enough for a trip to Costco (try that in a Wrangler with 3 kids).
I feel ya on the years of hype they build. I've been waiting on the Wagoneer for almost 10 years now. By the time they release it my kids will be outta the house and there will be no need for it.
I absolutely expected a real truck. Thats what they talked about for years. At least a long bed configuration and not something the same size as a Gator or Rhino. 7200lb rating in a single package offering is bullcrap. Sounds like plenty for a boat or a couple atvs, but it can't tow my XJ or other built Jeep effectively. I feel you on the carpet vs a bed. I don't post all the shit I do with the MiniCooper on here, but yea the carpet takes a beating. So do the windows and the tint linings that are being scratched off. The fact is that a bed that small is pointless to me, and does in no way make the vehicle worth $60,000 because Jeep spent 10+ years cutting the back off a JK and slapping a gator bed on it. I figured you'd feel the same, good luck getting a deer and all your gear in there, or 2 deer, or a good sized bear, and still having room for your stuff. Wouldn't take much to build a Jeep truck out of a Ram, even a 1500 and giving it some different Jeep themes like offroad additions, interiors, axles/gears, etc. But they didn't even try that.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The term "truck" is pretty subjective. Remember the PUP, LUV, Brat,Baja, El Camino Ranchero,or that thing that VW made. All touted as trucks .

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Thats a conversation for another time. I might lose my shit trying to have that discussion. State by state registration terms get involved, its messy.

My personal opinions on current new trucks don't help my point of view on the Gladiator, Im sick of all the companies killing off the small trucks (Ranger up to 2011, S10, and Dakotas), and selling these new minivans with mini truckbeds on them. #longbedornobed #givemespace

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good thing we don't have those Idaho monster bucks here lol.. I never payed that much attention to most of their hype until it's release. I've all but given up on Jeep do to the Wagoneer crap. I have a buddy that is a sales manager for CJD , everytime I would see him ,I'd hear it's coming be patient. They even have a base price for it....WTF...Where is this Jeep Luxury Unicorn at. That was back in 2012 and I'm still waiting and he is still convinced it's on its way. I did get a roll of the eyes when I mentioned it the day we bought the JL....lol

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Well, since the bronco release Garage Journal forum has gone apeshit over the Gladiator and Bronco discussions. A new thread was started titled: "Is the Gladiator a Real Truck?"

Needless to say, many did not like my answer. Most agree with you Lizard, which is cool, but then they don't stop to realize a difference in opinion on what is a "truck" and what isn't makes the whole thing a bit muddy.

They are now arguing over El Caminos vs Rangers/S10s vs F150/1500 models. Its kinda entertaining but also getting old since there are so many responses that repeat each other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts