Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Administrator
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a 5.9 ZJ since before I even got my XJ. I finally landed on a Platinum with 196k on the original motor and a "bad transmission" according to the ad. The advertised price was too good to pass up, so I went to look... and I found the cleanest unibody of any ZJ/XJ/WJ I've ever seen. The interior is immaculate minus the sagging cloth on the 9er-specific soundbar, and a bulb is out under the shifter... meh. $1300 later, I'm the owner of the first non-tan ZJ I've ever owned with a perfectly fine transmission once I actually put fluid in it. The battery still has the factory insulation wrap...

All electronic Mopar transmissions are notorious for the governor pressure solenoid going bad, and this 46RE is no different. Resistance on the solenoid is way out of spec, and its just gooped up. Otherwise fluid was bright red.

Pics:

The paint is really good for a 19-year-old SUV that's lived in the Northeast its entire life. Scuff on the bumper and some minor rust on the bottom of the hatch- all stupid, easily-fixed things.

Plans are as follows:
  • Pull the 9er, drop the 6.0 in it
  • 242 swap (Will never go back to a 231 again)
  • Modify valvebody, install shift kit, new Torco TC, new filter, heat-sinked aluminum pan on trans
  • Gut the 96 and scrap the shell, move Clayton arms, Foxes, PAC coils, cromo steering, all other goodies to this
  • Install new, updated Clayton ZJ subframe
  • Swap in geared/locked 29-spline 8.25 and D30 already set up for Clayton rear four-link and WJ knuckles
  • Repaint/install Lund visor
  • FINALLY paint the Hannemanns and swap them on
The lack of a mechanical fan makes a HUGE difference in throttle response.

I'll repost the motor parts list when I have more pictures.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Great looking zj and sounds like a great project. I have been wondering why the 8.25 aren't swapped in more zjs.

·
Administrator
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly because the 44a is a better axle, albeit with a weaker center section. $100 diff skid and it's damn close to bombproof. If it was good enough to dump behind a Viper's motor, it's good enough for a Jeep.

Not knocking the ChryCo axle, I like them a lot. But it's way more work that needs to be done to dump one under a ZJ than it is to armor the 44a.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
I agree on the 44A. It is much underrated I think

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well that does make sense.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Awesome! I wanted one so bad!

01 XJ Classic custom front 3 link, HP60 front, Sterling Rear, 110 inch wheelbase
Just a guy in a garage trying to live the dream!

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Standing by

·
Super Moderator
10,301 Posts
Oh God Oh God Oh God!!!!

:mfpopcorn: :mfpopcorn:

Sounds like an awesome build. Anxious to see this happen :plot:

ummm..... have we decided on tire size yet?? Giggity Giggity!

·
Administrator
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
33's. I may eventually go 35's but I don't like how the other one sat on 35's with 5.5". I'm not keeping this low-slung or trimming to fit 37's on a few inches of lift. It's too clean and I'm going to be eventually using this as a daily and driving it across the country in June.

I have zero complaints about how my old one sat, drove, handled, wheeled. 5.5" long arm and 33's was perfect all-around, so I'm not changing anything with the setup other than refreshing the joints and bushings.

I started priming and sanding the Hannemans tonight. As they sit now they're ready for top-coat and clear, I dropped three layers of primer with sanding in between at 1000, then 2000 to finish off the top layer. Just waiting on the paint to come in and I'll be all set with those.

Bought a few cans of Mopar Blue for the block, heads and transmission. I'm pulling the entire drivetrain when I put the 6-liter in it because it's infinitely easier to work on a trans when it's out, and I want to do the 242 swap, trans build, and motor all at the same time. No screwing with bellhousing bolts from under the car. Also have a B&M drain plug to put in the pan while it's off to work on the shift kit, no more ATF baths pulling the whole pan to flush it.

Picked up some FelPro head gaskets and some break-in oil, along with a massive trans cooler and power steering cooler. I'm itching to get cranking on everything but I have to wait on a few things first.

·
Super Moderator
10,301 Posts
Veddy Nice!

I just put 33" Mastercraft MXT's on mine. So far I love these tires. Great in the mud and rocks!!

I like the axle and T-case choices. pretty much stock hardware. Daddy likes!

·
Administrator
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The Ringwraith's Hot Rod: CT99XJ's 9er Build

Also figured I might as well update the list for the drivetrain build:

• .040-over 5.9
  • Knife-edged crank
  • H-rods
  • 6cc .040-over pistons
  • Mopar Performance double-roller timing chain
  • Mopar Performance lifters
  • COMP Cams towing cam
  • COMP Cams valve springs
  • Edelbrock hardened pushrods
  • Proform 1.7:1 roller rockers for a Ford 302
  • Mopar Performance R/T crate heads, ported/polished
  • Hughes Engines 6061 aluminum plenum plate
  • Ford Racing 27# injectors
  • FlowKooler water pump
  • Hughes Engines crank girdle
  • Melling HV oil pump
  • Accel ignition (coil, plugs, wires, dizzy cap/rotor)
  • Iron Man 4x4 motor mounts
  • Iron Man 4x4 transmission mount
  • Mopar Performance aluminum valve covers
  • Torco 2200 stall converter
  • Fairbanks shift kit
  • Novak t-case cable linkage

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
:pop::pop::pop:

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
It's too clean and I'm going to be eventually using this as a daily and driving it across the country in June.
Any mountain wheelin' planned in there next summer?

·
Administrator
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any mountain wheelin' planned in there next summer?
I actually just saw you're in CO now! I drove Vail Pass in May, I did 7-8,000 miles in a stock 4.0 ZJ I'd bought specifically for this trip out to Arizona for my thesis work to carry all our equipment. CT to Nashville, then a bomb across to Lymon CO, then Utah, stayed there for a few days around Cedar City and went to Zion and Bryce, then Vegas, Barstow, Flagstaff, GRCA, then PeFo for four days. Came straight back to CT from PeFo in two days.

·
Super Moderator
10,301 Posts
Don't forget about your SW PA brothers! And that dude who lives in ohio or iowa or somewhere!

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
I'm just up i35 from i80 in iowa.

·
Administrator
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did a thing.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Very nice. I like that blue on the block

·
Administrator
6,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still haven't put the Hughes plate in the plenum yet, and I discovered the internet was wrong (OH MY GOD, WHO'D HAVE THOUGHT!!!!) regarding using a Gen2 Ram oil pan with the Jeep pickup on the oil pump, so I need to scavenge the pan off one of my various Magnum motors to be able to throw it in. Soaked the lifters in oil for a week and a half, soaked the rockers, and almost all the resistance I was feeling after the initial buildup went away... so basically my impatience at throwing it together cost me a pair of head gaskets and a crank pulley seal. Whoop-de-doo.

We advanced the cam a little when I took the entire thing back apart for giggles, and it took us half an hour to get the dizzy gear lined up with the correct bolt on the head... but such is life. The Mopar Blue on the block was definitely a good choice, with the black accents. I haven't decided if I'm going to paint the accessory bracket Mopar Blue or gloss black like everything else... I'll decide when I get there.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts