Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

381 - 400 of 604 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Instead of drilling and then tapping the spring perch, I welded a grade 8 nut on top of the drilled hole. To keep from having to get a large spade bit or some other way of clearing out the aluminium or rubber spacer, I added in the nine other nuts to the perch. I wanted to practice a bit with the MIG welder too, so that's how it came to be.

I wanted a level pad for the spacer to sit on once I get one installed. Sooner than later me thinks...

·
Super Moderator
10,434 Posts
Instead of drilling and then tapping the spring perch, I welded a grade 8 nut on top of the drilled hole. To keep from having to get a large spade bit or some other way of clearing out the aluminium or rubber spacer, I added in the nine other nuts to the perch. I wanted to practice a bit with the MIG welder too, so that's how it came to be.

I wanted a level pad for the spacer to sit on once I get one installed. Sooner than later me thinks...
ohh awe c! Good Deal! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
Decided to go ahead and get the control arm mount boxed in before the POR15...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #385 (Edited)
So I started tearing down the Trac-Lok rear diff tonight. I was thinking about replacing all of the internals instead of just the clutch-packs. I am iffy on whether or not to just pull the trigger on the new spider gears. I already have the new clutch packs and retainer clips but the spider gears have given me some pause. I see some break down in the channels on the gears and has me debating on whether or not to just replace them now.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a retailer that sells the gears independent of the clutch-pack kit, and it would add an extra $80 to the price because of packs I do not need. So if someone knows or has seen or finds a gear replacement kit for a 98 JGC D44a Trac-lok Diff: I'd love to know!

Additionally, I am broke right now and already need another $300 in parts to complete the axle/steering build... just empty every damned pocket

I'll have links to video inspection of the gear wear tomorrow...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #386 (Edited)
Here is a brief video of the 1st of the 2 shaft gears. The lower side of the drive face on the gear had some wear to them. It reminds me of when race bearings go bad or when the axle shaft on my D35 crapped out. The cracks started then the chunks started coming out, and then replace. I believe I can use these as is, and don't think they're close to HAVING to be replaced. I just wonder if I am being a bit too OCD about them. Lemme know what y'all think?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
I worked the washers too much and they warped beyond usability. I'm gonna need some extras to finish this off. The new clutch pack springs were much stronger than the older ones, so it took a bit of hammering on a brass punch to get the gears into place. I could only get the one thrust washer in before having to stop for the night...

it's progress I suppose...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #391 (Edited)
Veddy Nice!
I somehow feel I sent you a crap diff. :(
Nah, it's not crap. I couldn't find grade 5 or grade 8 fender washers at the local Ace. So with the new clutch springs, the tension needed to compress them is too much for these basic fender washers to hold up to.

The spider gears were reusable, and to be honest the clutch packs weren't all that bad either. If you look at the photos of the inside of the diff, you'd see that the internals of the housing is still mint. All of the clutch surfaces are still great and the clip wells don't have a hint of wear in them. With spending the time and money I'm putting into these axles, I just decided to go all new internals while I'm in there.

With all the time spent on the upgraded 1 ton steering and WJ brake conversion, I even regret not trussing the D30 at this point. I probably should have at the price point of JCR's basic D30 Truss. Although I could still do that: but it looks like that ship has sailed. :(

EDIT: Awww frig, now I'm looking at trusses.... hmmmmm.... :eek: 65$ plus shipping.... Just Empty Every Pocket!

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Just remember it's only a dana30.save your cash for the one tons you'll be building next year lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Chased down a bad ground in my HVAC to a bad connector behind the glovebox. It appeared that oxidation of exposed copper wires are the culprit to the damage. All is repaired, soldered, and wrapped up. I have forced air heat again. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
It appears that whatever caused this event also took out the fan speed resistor block.

Oddly enough, the repair to the ground has improved the throttle repsonse in the jeep for some weird reason. Also noticing the ground wire buzzing that used to be audible over the radio/speakers is gone now as well.

It genuinely is driving better because of this seemingly unrelated ground wire. So weird.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
I believe I have finally solved the LSD issue. It appears that there was something binding up in there causing it to not turn very well.

I could have been tightening the clutch packs too much or perhaps not collapsing the correct clutch pack too little. I also put a wicked kink into one of the thrust washers, and I'm not sure when I did it. It could have been the culprit.

All I do know for certain is that I am finally in the position to get the ring gear on next and start in on getting the correct gear pattern in the rear D44HD.

Positive yardage and moving forward finally... :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,247 Posts
I always hated working on those track locks. I like the old style power lock much better

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #400 (Edited)
Making daily progress now

We have ring gears on LSDs... :thumbsup:

I still need to make some setup bearings for the D30 Trutrac, but have to wait for the replacements to come in. In the meantime, I'm gonna tear apart the D44HD and get started on the pinion setup. Hopefully, I can have it ready to start running patterns tomorrow night before sleepy time.

Attachments

381 - 400 of 604 Posts