Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

461 - 480 of 522 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
USA Standard is a good gearset, and absolutely fine for guys like us. I like the look of run D. Well done bud.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #462
I found that there was a variance of roughly ~.004" in the runout of the ring gear. I am not sure if I am using that term correctly. Basically the height of the teeth 'wobbles' ever so slightly as the gear rotates around. It is a USA Standard Gear sourced set, that is not a premium level ring gear. I'm not convinced that this level of variance is even an issue. I would think that some of this variance will work itself out in the break-in period.

Does anyone know if this is something that works itself out during the break-in period?
I am hoping someone could chime in on this one. Should I err on the shallow side of backlash(still in spec) because there will be some 'shaving' or break in of the gear mesh?

I do not know how much the surface finish breaks down in the mesh.. .00025 - .0005? Just shooting in the dark here.

USA Standard is a good gearset, and absolutely fine for guys like us.
Thanks supamaing. Yeah, I did know that they were connected to Yukon in some way.. Just didn't know how off they'd be.

Slow n steady to the next pattern run. (y)

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #463
It's 6am. You made gains. Hope you slept well, I did. Probably the first time in a week. You are on the right track. Slow and steady wins the race. ??
I can't help it... 😆 :ROFLMAO: 😂

It's Gainz O'Clock MF'er! Let's Go!

PARENTAL GUIDANCE : EXPLICIT LYRICS!

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
Run 'E' :

Inner Pinion Shim = .070"
Outer PInion Shim = .060"
Pinion Preload = 25-28 in lbs
NRGS Bearing Shim = .044"
RGS Bearing Shim = .042
Backlash = .005-.008

Drive Pattern =

Coast Pattern =

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
Looking good.
Check out this video. It shows Northridge 4x4 installing a locker and gears in a dynatrac 44. It's worth the watch

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #466 (Edited)
I didn't like the backlash on the last run and decided to try for a better pattern. I also have the carrier preload into the numbers now as well. I'm thinking I may run another pattern with the pinion a .001"-.002" deeper, and a little (.002" total) less carrier preload. After the next pattern, I'll get her all buttoned up and move on to the D44HD! (y)

Run 'F' :

Inner Pinion Shim = .070"
Outer PInion Shim = .060"
NRGS Bearing Shim = .043"
RGS Bearing Shim = .045
Backlash = .0045 - .007

Drive Pattern

Coast Pattern =

Coast Pattern =

IMG_3877.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #467
Run 'G' :

Inner Pinion Shim = .072"
Outer PInion Shim = .066"
Pinion Preload = 23-25 in lbs
RGS Bearing Shim = .045
Backlash = .0045 - .007

Drive Pattern =

Coast Pattern =

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #468 (Edited)
Run 'Shiggles' :

Inner Pinion Shim = .085"
Outer PInion Shim = .076"
NRGS Bearing Shim = .37"
RGS Bearing Shim = .040"
Backlash = .005 - .007

Drive Pattern =

Coast Pattern =

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #469 (Edited)
Run 'H' :

Inner Pinion Shim = .072"
Outer PInion Shim = .064"
Pinion Preload = 22-24 in lbs
RGS Bearing Shim = .045
Backlash = .0045 - .007

Drive Pattern =

Coast Pattern =

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #470
So I will be settling on the numbers from 'H'. I will try to tighten up the backlash tomorrow a bit, but I've resolved to stay with these numbers for the final install.

It's strange, there is a small section where the backlash on the drive teeth go from .0055" to .00425", .0045", .006.5", .005", .005" and then stays in an even, predictable level rise or fall for the rest of the run-out. I haven't ruled out a burr or a bad bolt. I am about 80% certain there were no burrs on either surface. I remember checking fairly closely. Regardless, I've resolved to leave it if I can't get the backlash into better shape. I would rather have the gears worn this way and then yank it out if there is an obvious issue.

I do not expect to have to.

I have been scouring the interwebs today looking for break-in numbers in regards to the backlash, and I am coming across a nominal ~.002" change after break-in period. So, if I leave it as is, I would expect the ring gear to be in the spec range once the initial break-in is finished. I am praying these gears aren't too noisy.

One last thing I am coming to learn with this particular gear set is that no matter what depth I have the pinion nor how loosely spec'd the backlash is: the coast side pattern on the teeth basically has the same shape and location. I have no solid idea as to why this is. I ran "shiggles" because I wasn't sure I had the correct depth and just wanted to see how a too deep pinion would pattern out. The coast side still was in a high, heel location. The shape was basically unchanged. I am beginning to think it has to do with the pinion and it's relative size to the ring gear.

Does anybody have a better idea? please put one out there if you have a theory... :unsure:

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
I think a couple thousands run out will be acceptable on the ring gear. From your runs I would try between .075 and .080 on the inner pinion depth. I would rather be a little deep, cause the natural tendency is for the gears to move apart. It may bring the coast side more toward center. From the references I have seen, you can't always get a perfect pattern on both sides. I wish the gear sets came with a contact pattern, so we would know exactly how they were ground. Looking good. You are an RCH from perfect. Kudos.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #472
I think a couple of thousands run out will be acceptable on the ring gear. From your runs, I would try between .075 and .080 on the inner pinion depth. I would rather be a little deep, cause the natural tendency is for the gears to move apart.
Well, good thing I got some more marking compound and the weather is letting up for the next couple of days. I'm gonna try it a couple of more times to try as you suggest. I appreciate the guidance bud.

So basically you're saying that a depth of a little more than run 'C' would be ideal for my pattern then?

It may bring the coast side more toward center.
After looking back at run 'shiggles', I'm thinking it won't. But I'll give it another couple of go's.

You are an RCH from perfect. Kudos.
Teamwork makes the dream work...

RCH?

I've heard of scooch(like Skol) before but this is a new one...

Thanks Gluck!

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
Yes, a little deeper than C. I still scratch my head at those acceptable patterns that are at the end of the teeth. But that is from the manufacture, so they should know.
Had you not shown us shiggles. I may not have suggested it. But they tell you to make big jumps at first then dial it in.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
But that is from the manufacture, so they should know.
It came from Sierra Gear and Axle

Had you not shown us shiggles. I may not have suggested it. But they tell you to make big jumps at first then dial it in.
I was under the impression that center-ing both sides is what I was aiming for. With the coast side of the teeth not changing for the most part, I was focused on just centering the drive side and calling it done.

Back to it.. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
Hey bro, I'm with you, center the drive is most important. I was just commenting on the fact the manufacturer allows it at the ends.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #476
Hey bro, I'm with you, center the drive is most important. I was just commenting on the fact the manufacturer allows it at the ends.
Yup I get ya maing! Not trying to ruffle feathers bud, just trying to understand better.. I do value your opinion, and appreciate the mind flossing.

Thanks!

This run pattern was placed over the teeth with the tightest backlash.

Run 'I' :

Inner Pinion Shim = .080"
Outer PInion Shim = .072"
Pinion Preload = 20-22 in lbs
NRGS Bearing Shim = .042"
RGS Bearing Shim = .042"
Backlash = .0045 - .007

Drive Pattern =

Coast Pattern =

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
Gonna run another with a depth in between 'I' and 'Shiggles'... I'm still baffled to why the coast pattern primarily doesn't change.. :unsure:

I'm getting pretty good at estimating preload and guestimating proper carrier shims. Did the last one on the first try...

I'm definately getting my money's worth in educational repition.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #478
Run 'J' :

Inner Pinion Shim = .082"
Outer PInion Shim = .076"
Pinion Preload = 18-28 in lbs
NRGS Bearing Shim = .044"
RGS Bearing Shim = .040"
Backlash = .004 - .007

Drive Pattern =