Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

601 - 607 of 607 Posts

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Looking good! I'm curious to know how the RBS paint holds up in the sun. That seems to be the only weak point of POR15. I bought TopCoat in aerosol cans to do my new wheels for the Mini this time. Hoping it holds up better. What did you coat the inside of the rockers with? Is it DTM or did you primer it first?

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #602
What did you coat the inside of the rockers with? Is it DTM or did you primer it first?
The rockers came somewhat painted/coated. I flapped the paint off so I could use a more HD paint. The paint that was on it was easily scratched. The inside of the panels were nice and not scratched anywhere, so I just left them that way. The other internal faces got a thick coating of POR-15.

I'll be living in the high desert from now on and I think that what I have done will last until I decide on boat sides/sliders. I don't expect much rust here on out. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #603 (Edited)
The moment of truth is here. Five hundred miles of break-in, and additional 50 miles of towing break in are over. There were times where I thought I might have cooked the gear set. Over working the gears in the initial stages of the towing break in had me sweating the reveal this evening. Admittedly, I still need to work on the front diff some more in 4 high. Preferrably while towing, but I am gonna focus on it when I get closer to Colorado next week.

The rear pinion is still making some grumbling on deceleration when there is not a heavy load on the gears. It is also not consistent. Sometimes I am wondering if the noise is just the track-bar rattling against the exhaust tail pipe. However, It is still there but is not a consistent growl throughout the deceleration to a stop.

I also still have some gear mesh noise around 55 mph from the rear and front differentials when in 4wd. I don't spend much time in 4 high, so I am not losing sleep over it.

The rear oscillating vibration has shifted from 50-60 mph on the Turdy-Five, to a 45-55 mph vibration that is at least a 75% reduction in the strength or volume of the noise.

Overall, I am confident that some of these noises are just going to work themselves out over the next several thousand miles. If the pinion noise persists, I'll tear it apart and install better bearings this October. The replacements were not of the noise reduction variety.

I am claiming victory over the re-gearing, and expect to have to quell an uprising further down the line, but for now the battle has been won. The proof is in the pictures. Gonna wait for the RTV to dry and I'll fill her up tomorrow, and get on with the rest of the repairs.

The HP D30 w/ Detroit Tru Trac Diff:

The D44HD w/ TracLok LSD:

IMG_4628.JPG

Reactions: wjlizard

·
Super Moderator
10,519 Posts
We I first did my gears, my senses were in overdrive. Every little sound or vibration scared me. I think I touched my diff covers every time I put it in park. I hung my go pro under the body to watch the drive shaft. I jacked up the wheels and would look for vibrations. You can drive yourself bonkers worrying about it. Your patterns look like mine. There is gonna be noise and wear. I changed my oil twice in the first 500 miles. Just take a deep breath. Relax. You are on the right path. (y)

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Bump for updates

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #606
Been ultra busy trying to set up an online business and getting out on weekends to wheel. We are at just about peak color out here in the Uncompaghre National Forest and have some wheeling planned to get the colors on film.

I have a fair amount of time coming up next month and November. I hope to get the summer's activities on the thread here.

·
Registered
398 Posts
We I first did my gears, my senses were in overdrive. Every little sound or vibration scared me. I think I touched my diff covers every time I put it in park. I hung my go pro under the body to watch the drive shaft. I jacked up the wheels and would look for vibrations. You can drive yourself bonkers worrying about it. Your patterns look like mine. There is gonna be noise and wear. I changed my oil twice in the first 500 miles. Just take a deep breath. Relax. You are on the right path. (y)
I’m still hearing every little noise and imagining the worst. 1200 miles since the rebuild so far so good. Keeping off the interstate for now though.

601 - 607 of 607 Posts