Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 95 xj that is my daily driver. Am a college student so money is a factor. I'm not using this jeep to offroad, but would like it to look at bit more agressive. Should I just get a suspension lift, or just body lift, or both? After lift I'll be buying 31" or 32" bfg at's. What are some good on-road, budget lift options? Any info & pics would help out a ton!! thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well, you can't do a body lift since the XJ doesn't have a frame, per se...
If you didn't want to go with the 31's, you could do a spacer/shackle or a spacer/bastard pack lift and get that thing like 2" up...

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I believe this is muddepived rig i think he has around 4 or 5 inches of lift
Right, 4.5" front 5" rear. A mixture of Old Man Emu/ Rusty's/budget crap :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK,
Thanks for all the info about the RC control arm drop kit Mudd,

So rough countries 4.5" lift,((http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4.html)) + the control arm drop kit((http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_control_arm_drop.html)) puts me around 650 for suspension.

is this all i would need to lift my xj, and have her driving nice nice? or will i need new brake lines, driveshaft... etc..? to my understanding you dont need to worry about lines n shaft until about 6" of lift.

Also, to my understanding OME is more expensive, although better quality, then RC kits...

Again, I'm in college, already about 15k in debt unfortunately, i'm looking for the biggest bang for my buck. Also i'm a bit of a noob at lifts and such, so sorry if i ask .. dumb questions...
Thanks for speedy responses!

I won't be doing this lift until about may, when i get out of school for summer. So i have plenty of time to research, and save up :brickwall:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
You will need extended brake lines, possibly a SYE or Tcase drop, an alignment after installation, possibly adjustable trackbar (redrilling the stock hole may cure the problem though), um... may be missing other stuff.

OME is definately a budget breaker. Rubicon Express makes good and complete products, but they are also a bit on the expensive side. You do get what you pay for, however.

You may want to decide at this point what size tire you want to run. If you want 33" tires then you will need a taller lift, if you're only going to run 31's then you don't need too much lift.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm 99% sure I'll run 31x10.50 bfg At's. My dad has em on his Dakota, n he says they get good traction in the snow. So, that's most likely what I'll get.

What if I just went with a 3" lift. Still need new lines, SYE n Tcase?

My buddies shop I'll be doing this in will have all the necessary equipment for an alignment so I'm not worried about that...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Is 95 prior to when they screwed up the tailcone on the transfer case? If so, 3" without a SYE will be fine.

However, I'd probably say just go with a 2" lift. 31s can be run stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes i'll do a build sheet :) probably wont be until may tho, when i'm out of college for summer break...

so i found this http://www.rcjeepliftkits.com/products/XJ/Jeep_XJ_4xin_lift_kit.html

comes with : brake line relocater, front track bar drop bracket, and a tcase drop. would this kit handle most of the main issues? and is there any way i can tell I'll need a longer sye b4 i do the lift?

·
Registered
89 Posts
31" tires will be better for budget. You won't need to re-gear. The 3" lift required for the 31s to fit is cheaper from all manufacturers, then the 4-4.5" lift needed for 32s to fit and look right. I highly recommend the 3" lift from Rough Country. Best price out there and it is a good quality lift kit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts