Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to my lift my 1989 XJ so I can run 31x10.50/15s, but I'm not sure if the lift kit I'm looking at will give me enough clearance for this. I'm deeply considering the Rough Country 3" lift with add-a-leafs, mostly because I've heard some good things about Rough Country and $255 isn't shabby at all. The site says the recommended tire size is the same as the size I'm currently looking at. After the lift I'm going to run 31x10.50 Mud Kings.

What are your thoughts on this and is this lift kit any good? Any personal experiences?

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_3.html

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will I be able to run 31x10.50s clean without any trimming? After the lfit and tires I'm going to armor it up and put Bushwackers on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think your rear sagged because you did the 4.5" instead of the 3"? I'm trying to avoid spending an extra $250 as you can see.

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
well it was probably more noticable because it was 4.5. but i think either way you are going to sage. AAL are just garbage. i just highly recommend staying away from it and just saving up the extra $250. i know its extra but its way better. the Rough Country lifts are cheaper than a lot on the market the way it is, price wise. They are great lifts. Most people would say the same thing I am. I wouldnt waste your time and money and just do it right the first time.

When you are lifted and modifying your Jeep dont look for the cheapest way out. Lifting and modifying isnt cheap anyway. Really the choice is up to you, I know from experience and other peoples comments, that you will be much happier doing it right the first time. With full leafs, you will have a brand new suspension then instead of reusing leafs that already have miles on them anyway which means they will sage eventually to.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Alright thanks buddy! I'll save up the extra $$$ and try to get my rig trailworthy. Stock isn't cutting it for me.

Also, as far as lights go, should I try the Hella 500s? Right now I'm running the cheapo Wally-World Baja Lights ($20), and they are decent at best, but not what I'm looking for.

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
Alright thanks buddy! I'll save up the extra $$$ and try to get my rig trailworthy. Stock isn't cutting it for me.

Also, as far as lights go, should I try the Hella 500s? Right now I'm running the cheapo Wally-World Baja Lights ($20), and they are decent at best, but not what I'm looking for.
awesome. i dont think you will be disappointed!

the Hella 500's are supposed to be awesome. those are the lights i am going to be purchasing when i get the cash to do so. so from what i have heard around those are a good choice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I based my lift on a 3" RC. I ran 31"s with no issue. Gives the truck a nice stance. But I did go the wrong road and did aal. Its still on my "Things to do list", to swap new springs, however in over a year now I've had no sagging or shifting of any kind. Theres not one bad thing I can say about this kit.

I got bored with it though, and spiced it up with 2" Teraflex dropshackles in the rear, and 2" Rubicon coil spacers up front. Trucks now about 5" of lift, still on 31"s.

·
Registered
75 Posts
also running the rc 3in. mines a aal and i've had no problems so far. wish i would have went with a 4.5 though

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Do you think your rear sagged because you did the 4.5" instead of the 3"? I'm trying to avoid spending an extra $250 as you can see.
The condition of your stock springs will determine if the AAL will sag. If you buy brand new oem leaf springs and add the AAL, it will last much longer than worn out old leaves.

But like everyone said here, AAL SUCKS. They are more of a temporary lift than a permanent one. They increase spring rate too, which gives you a bad rough ride. My first mod was the RC AAL and it came off a couple weeks later. I couldn't stand it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
89 limited with 31X10.50 on a R/C 3inch

Hay here is my 89 with a R/c 3inch lift running 31X10.50X15 BFG AT. The only problem 4wheeling I have is rubbing on that darn lower control arm. But I am wanting to go to 4.5 and put the 3inch on my wifes 99 grocery getter. I will be doing a build trend shortly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I was told that all (probably most) people that go with X inches of lift run it for a while then want to go higher.

I have a RC 4.5" with AAL. I knew I wanted full leaf springs, but I couldn't afford it at the time. My plan was/is to buy the leaf's later. $200 shipped from RC.

Anywho, now that I've run the 4.5" for 15 months, I want to go higher. If you are going to add Bushwhackers, you will really need some meat under the XJ for it to look balanced.

The nice thing about going with the AAL, it comes with shackles, so I can get the 4.5" leafs from RC, and with the shackles I'll have a 5.5" lift in the rear. A couple of spaces on the springs and I'm at 5.5"

Since I will be adding a winch bumper the 5.5" lift may be a little lower, due to the weight of that bumper and the rear bumper with tire carrier I already have put on.

I did the RC 4.5" lift for $495. If you can get one with the full leaf springs, if you can't buy it later! At least that is what I'm doing...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Same here my wrangler I changed the lift on it twice in one summer. Kinda like getting tatoos once your hooked it is all over. Now with my California Girl I want to go to 4 1/2 or 6. I just got the tires and wheels I want now its time to decide the lift.
Dave<><

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hey RonJon, I'm not sure if you ordered the lift yet, but according to someone at RC that I talked to, RC's new flex control arms will be available for the XJ and TJ lifts soon, so if i were you, I'd hold off ordering the kit until then.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Hey RonJon, I'm not sure if you ordered the lift yet, but according to someone at RC that I talked to, RC's new flex control arms will be available for the XJ and TJ lifts soon, so if i were you, I'd hold off ordering the kit until then.
They are already out. I just bought a set of them:

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1761

(pictures on page two)

If you get the kit from RC, opt for these arms. They are worth it. Beefy and much improved over the old version.

·
Registered
600 Posts
They are already out. I just bought a set of them:

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1761

(pictures on page two)

If you get the kit from RC, opt for these arms. They are worth it. Beefy and much improved over the old version.
Yes I know they are out already, but right now they are only available on the zj lift or to buy seperately. What I'm trying to say is that according to a RC rep, they will be available soon with the xj and tj lifts. So instead of buying the lift and then buying control arms, he should just wait until the new flex arms come with the lift.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Yes I know they are out already, but right now they are only available on the zj lift or to buy seperately. What I'm trying to say is that according to a RC rep, they will be available soon with the xj and tj lifts. So instead of buying the lift and then buying control arms, he should just wait until the new flex arms come with the lift.
MY bad. I checked out their site and was looking at the 6.5" lift for the xj's. THAT kit includes the x-flex arms but not the 4.5"? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts