Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 cherokee 2wd ( yeah I know) and need to have ans alignment done. I was going to replace the tie rod end before having the alignment done. The steering isn't bad but a little loose and I thougt the alignment might last longer if th front end were a bit tighter. When I go shopping for parts I find out there are inner and outertie rod ends. What do i replace to get thr best results? what else should i replace while I have the thing apart?

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Do you know which tie rods are bad?

There are 4 tie rods. The left outer is the tie rod near the driver's side tire. The left inner is the one on the same bar but opposite end. It connects to the draglink in front of the steering stabilizer. The bar is the long narrow tube parallel to the ground. The right outer is the tie rod near the passenger tie but this is part of the draglink so you have to buy that entire bar to get the tie rod replaced. There's one more tie rod at the pitman arm and this is called the right inner.

My advice on a high mileage vehicle is to replace all the tie rod ends if possible and also have your steering box checked for play. If you are on a budget then just replace what's bad for now. To check, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you sit under the front end and watch each joint for play and clunking.

If you feel you are inclined enough to do an alignment yourself, I can explain or show you how it's done. It's quite easy to do and saves you time and money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is exactly the type of info I needed, I will crawl under the jeep tomarrow while my turkey is on the grill.

Everything I habe read says to take it to a service station for alignment but I am willing to try it my self if you are willing to walk me through it.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
The steering stabilizer does not improve steering, its job is to reduce slight shimmies and shakes that may go up the steering into the steering wheel. A new steering stabilizer will better hide those shakes/shimmies than an old one, but doesn't actually fix a steering problem or make the steering feel tighter. If his steering is loose then there are mechanical reasons for it such as bad tie rod ends, a wallowed-out trackbar mounting hole at the axle, shot bushings in the control arms, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm coming up on 200k miles and I swear to god the plug wires and dist cap looked stock when I got it. I'm assuming everything is worn out and nothing has ever been replaced.
you should have seen the plugs I pulled out of it. Everything I have replaced so far has been amazingly cheap I don't know why wouldn't you just take care of it from the start?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I don't know why wouldn't you just take care of it from the start?
Because people are incredibly lazy, and incredibly cheap when it comes to their vehicular maintenance. My buddy works at Nissan, and he sees some ridiculous stuff there due to lack of maintenance.

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
That is exactly the type of info I needed, I will crawl under the jeep tomarrow while my turkey is on the grill.

Everything I habe read says to take it to a service station for alignment but I am willing to try it my self if you are willing to walk me through it.
TJ Toe-in Alignment - 1

That's for a TJ but they have the same steering setup as XJ's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts