Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum, new to the hobby..I've got alot of questions that I havent recieved much help from over at jeepforum

I recently bought a Rubicon Express 3.5" SuperFlex suspension lift, with twin tube shocks and full leaf packs for my 2000 Cherokee Sport (auto, 4.0L I6, and Chrysler 8.25" in the rear)

I'm getting ready to install the lift and I have some serious doubts as to reaching my goal of fitting 33x12.5's. Ultimately, that was my original goal but lately I've been feeling that maybe its not a good idea.

There arent many people running this setup it seems, and alot of people have been telling me that even running 32's is pushing it. The lift is designed for 31x10.5 tires but this will not be a daily driver, and im not scared to trim.

So I'd like some insight on whether or not this rig setup is a good idea? Should I stick to 31's? And does anyone have pictures/links of this setup?

Need some advice! :hi: :hi: :hi:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Moved to the correct section!

3.5" and 33's will definately need trimming and bumpstopping - it's tight!

Your rear wells will not need as much trimming as the fronts, but the fronts will probably have to lose 2-3" of fender to get them to fit well. Have you considered bumping it up to 4.5", it'll be a bit easier.

This is my rig. 4.5" RE SF with 33's. That's the trimming I had to do to make it work successfully (with proper bumpstopping).

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
I'm at 4" and trimmed and went with 32" tires, nice compromise and works pretty well.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
It's a tight fit. What wheels are you gonna run? stock or aftermarket? what backspacing?

Here's 4" and 31's (your kit will net around 4-4.5")

I was also able to shove 32's on there with stock backspacing and no trimming.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i had wanted to fit 33's.. and i already purchased the kit for 3.5", is there something i can do to gain a couple more inches to fit the 33's still?

I will trim if i have to, and i want to fit 33x12.5 mudders and i have no idea about the backspacing??

·
Registered
260 Posts
Moved to the correct section!

3.5" and 33's will definately need trimming and bumpstopping - it's tight!

Your rear wells will not need as much trimming as the fronts, but the fronts will probably have to lose 2-3" of fender to get them to fit well. Have you considered bumping it up to 4.5", it'll be a bit easier.

This is my rig. 4.5" RE SF with 33's. That's the trimming I had to do to make it work successfully (with proper bumpstopping).
I love that paint job!....and ya x2,trimming/bumpstops:thumbsup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
well i had wanted to fit 33's.. and i already purchased the kit for 3.5", is there something i can do to gain a couple more inches to fit the 33's still?

I will trim if i have to, and i want to fit 33x12.5 mudders and i have no idea about the backspacing??
1inch block in rear,and 1inch coil spacer up front would help....check the project "cheap jeep"on trucks,they ran 33`s wit 3inches of lift....ripped the bushwackers off,but still,it worked very well

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Thanks Crawl!

Sturge - Crawl's suggestion is a good one. Another way to do the rear is to use 1.5" shackles with the 3.5" springs to gain some extra height. The spacers up front will work just fine with the 3.5" springs. Just remember to make sure that your shocks can accomodate that extra bit of height.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
x2 on the coil spacers with shackles in the rear. you can do it. you still might want to trim to. but shackles and spacers wont cost much.
Right.

Jeep XJ Adjustable Shackles

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=141

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=140

If you want a true 1" or 2" spacer, pro-comp makes the 1 inchers and Teraflex makes the 2 inchers.

If you want the cheapest of cheap coil spacers, you can get additional isolators and stack em:
Coil Spring Isolator (8) and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks alot guys, these are options im definitely going to look into..

whats the "x2" you keep referring to?
How do I check to see if the shocks can handle the extra height?
If I have all Rubicon Express lift setup so far, is teraflex/pro comp spacers/shackles compatible?

I think I might want to buy a set of tires and rims, 33x12.5 and install the lift and see how it looks with the tires after..then maybe look into the spacers/shackles

what is the backspacing and how do i know what i would need/want

·
Registered
378 Posts
FYI: more lift won't do a thing to help with tire clearance off-road. They might help you fit those 33s on the road, but off-road, that added lift won't really make a bit of difference. This is why you see a lot of guys now going for the low suspension + big tires philosophy of building a rig. Lower suspension means better ride and more stability when you get off-camber (ie: leaning over).

If you want to fit 33s and wheel your rig, you're going to have to trim your fenders, period. Doesn't matter if you're running 3.5" or 6.5" of lift. If you want to go taller than what you'll get out of the RE 3.5" kit you certainly can, but at that point you'd probably have been better off buying the 4.5" kit to start with (I know you've already purchased the lift so this is a bit of a moot point) and the cost greatly increases as you get into needing things like an adjustable trackbar, longer front brakelines, possibly new upper control arms, definitely an SYE kit, etc.

Anyway, off-road when your suspension flexes, it's not the ride height that determines how far up into your wheel wells the tires will go -- that's determined, hopefully, by your bumpstops, or more commonly by your shocks, or whatever else it is that bottoms out and stops the suspension from compressing any further.

The only thing your ride height does is determine how much of your overall suspension travel is up travel vs down travel. Increasing your ride height also increases the angles on your control arms, which negatively impacts your ride quality (this is part of why long-arm kits are so popular -- by lengthening the control arms they reduce the angle on the arms letting you run a taller lift while maintaining good suspension geometry).

Your ride height won't determine well the tires fit into the wheel wells either. 33s are just physically bigger than the XJ's wheel well openings, so if you want to fit them in there, you've got to cut some metal and plastic somewhere.

Backspacing is the distance from the inside edge of the rim to the mounting surface.

More backspacing means the tires and wheels are tucked in closer to the vehicle. Less backspacing means they'll stick out further. Most aftermarket 15x8" rims have 4" or less backspacing, so they'll stick out further than the stock rims (which have about 5.25" backspacing).

"x2" simply means "ditto" or "I second that" or "me too"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks alot for the useful information JJ. so the spacers/shackles are a bad idea?

I guess i should just invest in the sye/cv and go with the 33x12.5x15's and trim those babys out

·
Registered
378 Posts
No, I'm not saying shackles and spacers are necessarily a bad idea, they're actually a pretty common way to increase suspension height, I'm just saying they're not going to do anything to help with tire clearance offroad. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah i hear ya, im just concerned that bumpstopping and trimming to fit the 33s will leave me with little flex, this is a offroad project more than a daily driver, so i want to be adequate in my wheeling

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
See how great we are lol. mainly the pros not me lol.

·
Registered
378 Posts
yeah i hear ya, im just concerned that bumpstopping and trimming to fit the 33s will leave me with little flex, this is a offroad project more than a daily driver, so i want to be adequate in my wheeling
You'll have just as much flex as if you ran more lift because you'd have to do the exact same trimming and bumpstopping if you run 5.5" as if you ran 3.5", that's what I was trying to say earlier. ;) More lift by itself won't get you more flex because your shocks are generally what determines how much flex you have (up front anyway).

Here's an example that's fairly close to real world numbers. Let's say you've got 9" of usable shock travel with that RE 3.5" kit, and 4" of that is up-travel and 5" is down-travel as it sits on your rig. Adding some coil spacers and shackles to gain 1" of ride height is just going to change that to 5" up-travel and 4" down-travel. Your overall suspension "flex" hasn't changed, all you did was change the ratio of up-travel to down-travel. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts