Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who mount your tire on the roof rack. How do you mount it? With the outside or inside exposed to elements?
If with the outside exposed how long have you left it up there before it was not useful anymore?

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Im not sure I understand the question. Doesn't matter which side of your tire gets exposed to the elements and UV rays, either side can dryrot and explode when you need it the most. Besides, who wants to lift a tire/wheel up into and out of a roofrack anyways?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do you put your spare XJSuperman?

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Stock location, away from sunlight

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
You can fit a 33 in the trunk in the stock spot. Just need to lengthen the J bolt.

·
Super Moderator
10,927 Posts
You can fit a 33 in the trunk in the stock spot. Just need to lengthen the J bolt.
If you fold down the back seat.

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I see your point as to lifting that tire on the roof but the uv thing is kind of a moot point as tires stored on a tire carrier on a back bumper are exposed to uv . Not as much but close due to the angle and tire stored under the Jeep like my commander are subject to road salt and other liquids and debis that will expedite dry rot. My JK spare was dry rotted and had never touched the road just hanging out on the tail gate carrier. So if inside the Jeep ain't an option then we're would one store their tire ? A cover would help you on the roof rack as well as the bumper carrier. My 35's weigh in at 130+ lbs I'm not gonna even attempt that on the roof and someday when I get to assembly of my rear bumper that I have . I will design a 2nd pivot point to lower it to the ground because of back issues.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Some roof mounts do not allow use of a cover because they stick out with t-bar type setups. At least on a bumper its lower COG, easier to handle (kind of), and in more cases allow for a cover. 2/3 is better than 0/3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts