Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a 98 Cherokee Classic today and she needs tires, so I'll have some put on Saturday. I've been going through threads looking for suggestions and have to say that it makes my head hurt. Lots of choices. :confused:

I'll figure it out, but also open to suggestions. I think I've pretty much seen everything in the first 6-8 pages of threads so far though. lol...

During the week I'll be making the 5 minute drive to work and riding some of the local national forest roads on weekends. I don't see myself doing much off-roading for a while so I'm thinking an aggressive off-road tire isn't the way to go, yet. Right now she sits on some 235/75 R15 Michelin street tires.

Anyway, mostly thinking out loud while I synch my two brain cells again. :)

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
Look into a decent all-terrain. General Grabbers are a good option, as are some of the Cooper Discoverers. I had a set of Mastercraft Courser AT2s in a 235 and absolutely loved them. Excellent all-season tire, awesome in the snow- not that you need to worry about that! :p

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
I had Goodyear Wrangler's in 30-9.50-15 on mine before the lift. They did well, were quiet and rode well.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I also had the Goodyear Wrangler on mine before the lift. They rode great and were quite.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's on mine a couple years ago, and I've been very happy with them. They're fairly quiet on the road, and they get pretty good grip on wet roads and in the snow. I got 'em at Tire Discounters along with their road hazard warranty and an alignment for a shade over $700, which struck me as a pretty good price.

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
That's a steal for the full deal getting done, there.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Cooper AT3s all the way. Great wear, excellent durability, and fantastic handling. Several friends run them, the girlfriend has them, and a couple have seen over 80,000 miles on a set.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's a steal for the full deal getting done, there.
IIRC Tire Discounters was running a special on the Coopers when I bought 'em - which they do quite a bit.

For some reason this reminded me of the time mom sent me out to get tires for her buick. When I got back she said "what kind of tires did you get?" I said "Falken Ziex" (which I pronounce "fawken") And she said, "I wish you'd quit using that language!" Still laughing about that one.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3's on mine a couple years ago, and I've been very happy with them. They're fairly quiet on the road, and they get pretty good grip on wet roads and in the snow. I got 'em at Tire Discounters along with their road hazard warranty and an alignment for a shade over $700, which struck me as a pretty good price.
Cooper AT3s all the way. Great wear, excellent durability, and fantastic handling. Several friends run them, the girlfriend has them, and a couple have seen over 80,000 miles on a set.
x3 on the AT3's. I'm about 4-5 months into running my 31x10.5x15's after being on BFG muds for 3 years. Can't say I'll go back now. We get a TON of rain up here and they grab really well, without being "sticky". I drive alot of forest roads and aside form having to pick rocks out of them constantly(due to my own OCD about rocks ticking on the road), they have been an excellent tire for those backroads.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Go with either Goodyear Wrangler or Cooper AT3, both great on mileage and looks aggressive tires.
Mine came with Wranglers on it when it was new. They were decent tires and I got about 60k miles out of them. Then I got a set of Dayton all terrain type tires, and got about 40k out of them. The Coopers should last at least as long as the Wranglers did, but I won't know that until I wear 'em out.

Funny you should mention the looks - I always notice when somebody is driving a Cherokee with regular old street tires. In the back of my mind a little voice always says "that thing's never going off road." Now to be fair, I never take mine off road either... but I don't want it to LOOK like it! :D

To me a good all terrain tire on an XJ just makes it look like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome stuff guys, thank you so much!

I'm going to go with the Wranglers. They're affordable and available and will meet all of my needs at the present time. I've got an appointment scheduled for Saturday morning. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A friend of mine from work pointed out that the Wranglers I'm looking at are not the same Wranglers he has.

His are Wrangler Authority-
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-Authority-Tire-LT265-70R17/11983163

The ones I'm looking at are Wrangler Radial- http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?ra=filterTireProducts.do&fl=&tc=GDYRAE&c=0&rcz=32301&pc=30130&ar=75&rf=true&rd=15&rc=FLTINT&cs=235

He does run lots more mud and off-road than I'm likely to any time soon, but now I'm thinking the Wrangler Radials might not be the way to go, so I'm still up in the air. Dang.

I told y'all this was making my head hurt. lol...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I personally like the Hankooks all-terrians ,I run those on the wife's commander and run the Hankook mud terrains on my WJ

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Almost all the tires Goodyear makes for LT applications are called a Wrangler "________". So shop carefully. The Authority tire is the walmart Goodyear. There are more variations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New Tires

I really appreciate the input on tires. The Wrangler Radials that I was looking at weren't really what I wanted so I looked around town for something different.

I stopped by Sears and they had a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 so I grabbed them. I asked to have them mounted black side out, of course that didn't happen and I didn't have any more time to wait, so I got $30 off instead. Maybe the white lettering will grow on me.

Here's a before and after. They didn't do a very good job of washing the blue shite off the tires either. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
A/T-a-boy! You'll like those Coopers. Did you get an alignment? If you didn't, you should. You've got some nice new tires, and proper alignment along with regular rotation will keep 'em in shape for a long time to come.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts