Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport 4.0L 4x4 5-spd manual (356,500 original miles) -

Parked the rig on the up incline, flushed the heater core, and waited for all the coolant bubbles to finish their journey.

Today, I took the rig out on the freeway, driving at about 55-62 mph, when suddenly there was a strong misfire/bucking/hiccuping for several seconds, then a return to normal. This occurred three or four times within a span of several minutes.

Downshifted to 3rd, exited the highway, turned around, and moseyed back home at about 45-55 mph without incident.

1. Looking online, I find conflicting information
2. Numerous DIY flush the heater core videos all show radiators with caps
3. Other sources say: If you have a radiator cap your system is open (not closed) and does not need to be burped.
4. What?
5. Is the incident I experienced the result of air remaining in the cooling system?
6. If so, what’s the remedy? (Not at all interested in trashing the motor!)

Any info/assistance much appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
10,434 Posts
Shat you experienced is not what having air in the system is like. The "open" system does not need to be burped, it will take care of that itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OUTCOME:

After letting the Jeepster sit for a day, today I topped off the radiator, filled the overflow some, reconnected the electrical connection for my rear AirLifts (that had, apparently gotten knocked loose during my water cannon activity), started up and went for a couple of hours' drive, both in and around town and on the freeways.

No issues whatever! (And, yes, I do much enjoy unwinding in 3rd gear on this rig!! A kick.)

So, since the consensus (both on this forum and the other couple I posted to) is that "moisture having gotten into a wire connector is a possibility (as I said earlier, "what with the wild spray-about I had a couple of times while trying to get the garden and heater hoses aligned"), I think I can go on living as if this incident worked itself out.

I'll consider the case closed.

Again, thank you for each of your responses and information!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts