Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The paint on my stone pearl white XJ is showing its age. It's beginning to flake off and peel is spots. I also have a few rust spots that need attention. I was thinking about a winter project to strip the flares, moulding, and decals off. Fix the rust, and rhino line the whole body. So peeps, what say you? Comments and recommendations are appreciated. :cool:

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
I am one of those nay sayers. I know there are some pros, but once that stuff is on, you are stuck with it and I personally don't like the orange peel look

Reactions: TgRamsey

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not a huge fan, but it comes with the territory. I don't want to put a nice paint job on it, then scratch the hell out of it in the woods.

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
There is that. I don't care for pin stripping either. However one thing that I found that takes care of most of it was Armour All

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is that. I don't care for pin stripping either. However one thing that I found that takes care of most of it was Armour All
Care to elaborate?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Armor all will temporary hide small surface scratches in paint or clear up foggy headlights

Reactions: Gluckmysock

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
Yeah, went down a trail supposedly rated very hard near the Rubicon. Turned out to be just a bunch of brush choked dirt roads. It pin stripped my paint really bad. I gave it a coat of armor all and it hid almost all the scratches. But I had to do it every few months

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I'm not much on pretty maintenance. I got some real bad scratches last time I was out. The wood actually left black marks.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
There's pros and cons. I like my bed lined truck I wish I would have cut and folded my rear before I painted. I thought I'd stay at 33s now I'm on 37s had to do some cutting. But I'm covering my mistakes up with bed armor when it cools off. If I had to do it again id just rattle can the whole truck for easy touch up if your going to actually wheel it. If you do bed line it use a wire wheel cup brush to take the paint off.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
DO IT Gluck. For what you do (wooded trails and short drives) its perfect.
I don't know that Id use Rhinoliner, but thats a discussion thats been had before.

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
😁

I am not brand loyal, Rhinoliner was the first that came to mind and probably the most recognized. I'm seriously considering this for a winter project. I will have to strip all the badges and emblems off. I was thinking of getting a 6'-8" CHEROKEE to go on a angle over the doors. I would probably have to sand the rough texture down to get it to stick, but I think it would be neat. and rather unique! In big bold black letters
CHEROKEE

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
I am all for unique

Reactions: Gluckmysock

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Here's the brand I used one kit 3 gal does an xj pretty well. I've painted an xj and mj in this I really like it. Let your primer cure fully for a few days because this paint get hot when curing it will crinkle on primer that's not cured. Welcome to Liner Xtreeme | Bedliners to tuffen all your toys!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
FYI don't try to sand it down for stickers just stencil on what you want

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Im with Pizzaman on the stenciling. Don't want to screw up the coating by scuffing it back down. Just plan it out and mask it off. So, paint CHEROKEE black where you want it, then tape it off again later and hit everything else with bedliner.

·
Super Moderator
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad your suggested to do it that way. I was gonna paint it over the bed liner. Doh! Sorry. Been a long day, it's beer thirty.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Paint over the liner. Don't try to mask something out.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
I can tell you a couple things first-hand from my experience:

Duplicolor and Rustoleom rattlecan bedliners suck. Period. Coverage, durability, and how long it lasts are all terrible.

Spraycan liners don't hold a candle to professional spray like LineX or diy spray or roll-on like Monstaliner, Raptorliner, or even Herculiner when rolled on.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts