Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 19TH has the black factory painted wheels and Firestone Destination A/T tires. I blacked out the OWL with Sharpie black, chisel tip permanent marker. Also, I purchased ColorLugs Vinyl BoltCap Covers in Black $25/25ct on Amazon to cover the chrome wheel bolts. In addition, I blacked out the muffler with Rustoleum 1200deg spray paint for $5. Al in all, for $30 USD, I like the more uniform appearance with the bright white paint and black plastic trim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
Black on black just about always looks better on a 4X4

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Nope, I rock white letters on aluminum wheels. I make that **** look good!!!!

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
On a white vehicle, OWL all the way.They should be black on the other side. Could just have them knocked off the rims and remounted and balanced. Would be more permanent and won't turn purple after time and UV exposure...but I am a fan of the "blacked-out" look.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back in the 70’s when I was a youngster and had my first cars, I admired RWL tires. This trend continued into the 80’s. Everyone wanted them, it was all the rage. When you couldn’t afford to buy a set of tires, you hand painted the letters white (which I did at twelve at years old). In addition, it was “cool” to have HiJacker shocks, Cherrybomb mufflers and the king of all daddy’s, Crager SS “mag wheels”. I had all of those. But, I also drank Kool-aid and chocolate milk at that time.

As we have crossed over to the new millennium, I have developed a taste for fine wines, a hoppy IPA and fine bourbon. None of my cars have white letter tires presently.
IMOA, It’s unfortunate that Jeep chose to put something so ‘nostalgic’ on such a high-tech, capable piece of machinery. Obviously sounding snobbish, none of my Mercedes-Benz vehicles have RWL tires. They never will. Most definitely my tastes have changed. I’m a minimalist. I always debadge my vehicles. Isn’t it obvious I’m driving a Jeep or Mercedes-Benz?
I don’t consider myself wasteful. The only reason I’ll pop the bucks on breaking the bead on my tires is when I come up with a suitable replacement for the Firestones after they fail meeting performance requirements.
God Bless America! ??
God Bless America! ??

·
Premium Member
9,069 Posts
Not so fast, there are white letters on lots of the cool tires for Jeeps and pickups. It hasn't faded out yet. But if you take the white letters out in the rocks, they get scrapped off fast

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not so fast, there are white letters on lots of the cool tires for Jeeps and pickups. It hasn't faded out yet. But if you take the white letters out in the rocks, they get scrapped off fast

I think RWL is making a comeback. I drive asphalt and sandy beaches. We’ll probably never hit the rocks.

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
me too

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hell ya buddy!! My goal is to end the black rim movement.

Honestly, I thought the “black rim movement” was silly as it became popular. I suppose it’s origin is from racing. I’ll agree that blacked out wheels can be functional. On our 19TH they work for me because I hate cleaning wheels. On quick washes I basically clean the tire with my wash brush and any wheel surface it reaches without making extra effort. Maybe I’ll do a detailed cleaning after several washes. Last night I was doing a quick wash on my car with bright wheels and I couldn’t do the same. I had to spend the time cleaning off the dirt and brake dust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts