Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
So I have a camping trip coming up and I am debating towing up a camping trailer. It weighs about 2,000lbs, maybe 2,500lbs. It's about a 120 mile tow each way and there is only one stretch of highway about 15 miles long that is about a 10% grade. Basically I want to know if my jeep will blow up lol. I have a rustys transmission cooler on my jeep right now if that helps any.

My jeep has an auto transmission with 33" tires and 4.88s. Right now the gearing is lower than stock (at 65 it's at 2500rpm) so i'm guessing that will help with towing. Also, what i'm somewhat concerned about is about a 9 mile stretch of dirt road. I know when we get there it will be pretty muddy. Has anyone ever experienced towing in muddy conditions? The roads not too bad but I just don't know how much of a difference having a trailer on the back would be. A stock AWD vehicle could make it through with slight difficulty. I'm guessing my jeep would be able to pull the trailer through it with 33s and lockers front and rear?

EDIT: So the title is suppose to read "Towing with my cherokee" :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
I fixed the title of the thread for ya. :thumbsup:

You should be fine, especially with the tranny cooler. Take it nice and slow on the off road towing portion of the trip. Stick it in 4-hi and go easy. I once hauled a huge load of wood with the tj through a swampy field. OMG was that FUN! :rofl: I did have twice the traction than before due to the weight in the back so it was pretty easy to do.....but FUN! You got detroits front and rear so it should be a walk in the park for ya.

·
muddin moderator
4,045 Posts
i dont know about drive but i know for sure you will waste a transmission if you pull wit overdrive on

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
if a stocker could make it thro with minor difficulty you could do it. epsely with them lockers. i had to pull a horse trailer out with a chevy that was stuck in a feild

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
When you get onto the dirt road, if it's slick and muddy, but your tires are getting a good bite on the terrain, then go in 4Lo to minimize wheelspin so you keep biting the ground. You don't want to rut out your own tracks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
REVIVING THIS ONE ~
The advice to only tow in 3rd, not Drive...
as in, push the gear shift lever down to the 3 and leave it there while towing?
Why is this the case?
o_O

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
So you don't shift into overdrive (4). Overdrive isn't meant for heavy towing, its to cruise on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
I have a trans cooler on mine and have seen my temps get up to 200 pulling my big ass trailer, its light weight is 1000 lbs. stay in 3rd and put it in neutral when stopped in traffic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts