Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swapped the bushing in an adjustable track bar? I think its a rustys. Does it just press out or do I need to apply torch heat? Any help is appreciated. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
Most bushings are hard to press out because the soft inner parts just give in the center while the hard sleeve stays put. If you can press them out, great. But you will probably need to use a torch to remove the old one. You can burn the rubber out by catching it on fire and then hitting the cutting valve o an acetylene torch. The extra O2 will make the rubber burn cleaner and reduce the pollution. The sleeve will still be a problem however since it will be hard to fine something that will push it out and at the same time pass through the center. Let the end cool. Then heat up the sleeve and hit the cutting valve and cut quickly. If you don't heat up the outside much the sleeve will cut and leave the outside intact. , God luck.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
If it's rubber, drill holes in the bushing around the inner metal sleeve. Press that crap out with a ball joint press or whatever. Then take a sawzall and cut through the outer metal sleeve that's still in the trackbar, just enough to split it without damaging the eye of the trackbar. A flathead and hammer will then get it out.

·
Registered
307 Posts
are you guys serious?

this is a TRACKBAR bushing people. it has two halves, with a center sleeve and is sleeved on the outside (the outside sleeve is welded to the trackbar).

to remove it, spray center sleeve with pb blaster or other penetrating fluid.

set on bench vice, with vice open just wider than the diameter of the center sleeve in the trackbar.

take hammer, and punch, set trackbar end over vice, tap out center pin. then use center punch with hammer on each side, through the center sleeve hole, to punch out each half of the bushing.

I swear...do you guys even do any work on your xj's? imagine that, giving false information...sheesh.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
are you guys serious?

this is a TRACKBAR bushing people. it has two halves, with a center sleeve and is sleeved on the outside (the outside sleeve is welded to the trackbar).

to remove it, spray center sleeve with pb blaster or other penetrating fluid.

set on bench vice, with vice open just wider than the diameter of the center sleeve in the trackbar.

take hammer, and punch, set trackbar end over vice, tap out center pin. then use center punch with hammer on each side, through the center sleeve hole, to punch out each half of the bushing.

I swear...do you guys even do any work on your xj's? imagine that, giving false information...sheesh.
????? He's not totally sure if it's rusty's trackbar or not. If it's not, it could have a rubber trackbar bushing, like the oem's and some other aftermarket trackbars. The oem bushings have a metal sleeve around the rubber bushing and a metal sleeve in the middle for the bolt. These are ONE PIECE bushings that are pressed in. Sometimes it's impossible to press them out so you have to chew em up to get em out, just like the bushings on the upper control arm axle mounts. If it is indeed a rusty's trackbar, then it uses poly two-piece bushings which don't have an outer sleeve, only an inner metal bolt sleeve. These come out very easily with some pliers or flathead screwdrivers.

There's no false information here. if the OP stated exactly which trackbar instead of being unsure, then we would've gave him the proper ways to extract the bushing but since he THINKS it's rusty's, it could be any so we show him the general way to tackle bushings, two piece or not but the method you described is correct if it's a two-piece.

·
Registered
307 Posts
so why would you jump straight to the conclusion that it is the one you least commonly see?.

and yes, ther eis in outer sleeve on both a one piece and a two piece bushing. it is the framework for the bushing, and is the part which is welded to the trackbar acting as a collar.

btw, the only trackbars that I have seen with the type of bushing you are describing, is the stock track bar. other than that, EVERY single trackbar I've ever messed with is a two piece poly urethane bushing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so why would you jump straight to the conclusion that it is the one you least commonly see?.

and yes, ther eis in outer sleeve on both a one piece and a two piece bushing. it is the framework for the bushing, and is the part which is welded to the trackbar acting as a collar.

btw, the only trackbars that I have seen with the type of bushing you are describing, is the stock track bar. other than that, EVERY single trackbar I've ever messed with is a two piece poly urethane bushing.
I didn't mean to start an argument about this!Ha!Ha! The bushing in my track bar looks like the stock moog part that I picked up @ O'reiliy's. The guy that I bought the parts truck told me he thought it was a Rusty's. I don,t know. I think I get the idea so I'll get the torch ready when I go to change the bushings. Thanks everyone for the info.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts

JKS adjustable trackbar, which many of us run, including myself:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts