Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2WD Cherokee is due for a new Track Bar. I did a thread search, but didn't find the answers i'm looking for.

I've got a 3" spacer lift. Will be installing a RE 3.5" Super-Flex kit later in the spring, when i do my 4WD conversion. Can i just 'get by' for now with a cheap ($70) replacement Track Bar from AutoZone or the $122 Moog at CSK? :dunno:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at CSK Auto

I'm sure that i will be upgrading later on, but for now, i need my DD to be mobile!

I will go ahead and buy a Chilton Book this week-end. Is there any Tips or Tricks that i should know about?

:D

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:agree:

That's kind of what i was thinking also. I can only assume that i've got a stock Track Bar in there now. I'll find out when i buy a new one this afternoon.

Any Tips or Tricks that i should know about? Will be buying a Book today as well, so i'll just pretty much follow the instructions, huh? I was reading that i should jump up and down on the front bumper to adjust the 'tracking' before tightening anything down. Also, i heard that the steering wheel position might not be the same after the install. If this is the case, how do i go about correcting it? Is there any special tools that would make this job go any easier?

Just a little intimidated with this job. But, not as scared as my project next week-end... Exhaust Manifold replacement. Hoping this will be a confidence builder!!! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
11,622 Posts
To fix the steering wheel, you need to adjust the draglink via the adjuster sleeve that has two bolts. The adjuster sleeve is on the draglink up near the pitman arm. Loosen it up and twist either forward or backwards and this'll start turning the steering wheel. Adjust until the wheel is centered. Make sure you tires are pointing straight ahead when you do this.

Here's how to do an alignment if you want to know about it:
http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/align/align-1.htm

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you are going to pony up for an aftermarket trackbar avoid one with a TRE at the frame. Get one with a double shear frame mount. Besides the strength increase, it won't bind like a TRE will when you droop the front and won't wear out anywhere near as fast.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got the Track Bar replaced. The Stock Track Bar worked out quite well. The job would of gone faster if i would of got a 19mm wrench and a Pickle Fork before i started. Having problems getting the Cotter Pin back in on the Frame Mount though, may have to use Safety Wire instead?

BTW- I guess you get what ya pay for... the Track Bar from CSK didn't come with a Zerk Fitting or Cotter Pin. Had to buy a Zerk and Pin separately. The hole for the Cotter Pin is positioned so that you can't get the pin in between the Frame Mount!!!
:brickwall:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts