Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know that this is really the right sub-forum... But I guess it'll do. Oh, it's a long post so nobody is going to bother to read it...

So, if I didn't mention it, I lunched the tcase in my dodge, reducing it to a 2wd 6500lb sled. Since then, I've got it stuck twice (parking lots are HARD) and had to back down a couple hills that I couldn't climb. I went looking into a tcase... $895 + $250 for a core. As pulled, same milage as my truck. Awesome. Or $1300 for a rebuild + $250 core. The slip portion of the front driveshaft is also screwed (I do not know how... but it is). Unfortunatly, I redid the front wheel bearings ($375 each) and brakes only about a month ago. The transmission scares me constantly. I think it might be nearing the end of its service life. But it might still have another 30 000 in it. Or maybe it'll plod on forever behind the lackluster 160HP cummins.

I'm not overly thrilled about my dodge at this point in time. But it is a NICE truck in a lot of ways. The body is still there, almost entirely rust free, the interior isn't bad... Has A/C, P/L, P/W, Cruise, tilt, etc. And it cruises nice on the highway at 120k (like, 70?). And it is a truck, I can throw tons of junk in it, including axles and steel up to 8' lengths (10' with the gate down, or longer if I want). And I can tow my damn 16' trailer with it (easily carry 24' lengths of steel, and a whole jeep). But I haven't done a lot of hauling with it recently (picked up some 60s), and I haven't towed my trailer in about a year now (IIRC). I'm stuck in the situation where I am, 500 miles from 'home' and my other jeeps. So I never get anything done anyways (read, I don't think I'll need to tow for a year or two anyways, unless things improve).

I looked at two XJs on lots today. Two salivating salesmen saw my dodge and were itching to make a trade (but not straight accross).

An 01 that I like. It's black, alloy wheels, body is in great shape. 4dr, 4.0/AW4/NP231. Forgot to check the rear (oops, sloppy). Had 'lower' milage at about 190k~ kms. My dodge has 294 000 for reference... Being 01 it has a LP front. I think I can live with that. I need a 4wd DD, not another wheeler.

I also saw a 99. White, 4dr, ugly rims, same driveline (forgot the rear again). Cheaper. Maybe I could twist the arm far enough to get this one straight accross? Either way, I wasn't as impressed with it. The milage was about the same though.

So, I dunno... Downsize to an XJ? It won't save me anything (or at least much) on fuel, so that's not really a factor...

Oh, the whole 'HO' engine thing kinda freaks me out. I've never owned one. It's a big plunge to embrace anything actually made by chrysler. I guess I will get framiliar in a hurry...

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
well you have to remember an XJ isnt a full size pick up. you can throw stuff inside but not as much as easily. You wont get the same tow advantage out of an XJ if that is a huge factor. So I dont know how much a pick up fits your everyday needs.

The 4.0 HO is awesome. I rarely here things about the 4.0L. If you keep good care of them they go forever. Even other threads on miles will tell you that.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well you have to remember an XJ isnt a full size pick up. you can throw stuff inside but not as much as easily. You wont get the same tow advantage out of an XJ if that is a huge factor. So I dont know how much a pick up fits your everyday needs.

The 4.0 HO is awesome. I rarely here things about the 4.0L. If you keep good care of them they go forever. Even other threads on miles will tell you that.

Well, I hope NOT to have to put anything in it. I've owned 2 XJs and 2 MJs so far (if I haven't forgotten any). A MJ is a truck, an XJ isn't. I know I can't fit 5 37s in the back of an XJ (I've tried). Basically with an XJ, unless I throw it on the roof, I'm limited to about 6' lengths of steel. That's okay providing I get my next round of tube delivered... There's no chance on putting a D60 in the back. Well, there might be, but not without wrecking everything. My point is I don't think I'll need to do much of this anytime soon. I could be totally wrong, but I think my hauling days are cut short for a bit.

I know the 4.0 is fine... It's the HO thing. I've never done anything more than pulled random parts off them and diagnosed people's problems saying 'well, on the Renix if it is doing that it means...'

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm undecided... I do a lot of highway miles. The dodge has a 134" wheelbase. It takes a LONG time for something of that length to swap ends on snow/ice. If it starts to get bent on you it's 'Oh, hmm, maybe I'd better put my coke down and turn the wheel back into this'. Knock off 30" and you've got an XJ. I forget how bad they are, I've honestly rarely driven an XJ for longer than an hour on the highway, and not in poor weather conditions (snow/ice). But I remember swapping ends in my SWB MJ once. That really sucked.

It's just something I think about after watching a teenage girl get herself killed in a POS geo-tracker. 80" WB, they spin fast.:(

But I guess I see as many full-size trucks as SUVs upsidedown/backwards in the ditch.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not going to do it... I thought about the economics. Lose money trading the CTD, then sell the nice XJ after I've flogged it (I really shouldn't have ANYTHING nice) and lose more money. Nah.

If I can find a LWB MJ, I might go that route... I doubt it though. Also I'm looking at trading up now. Get myself a dirtymax (duramax)... Or maybe I'll just throw the tcase in this thing and worry about everything in spring. If it makes it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts