Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Tranmission Cooler Line

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Cantexian 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 XJ. Last night I noticed it has a slight coolant leak coming from the top transmission cooler line right where it mounts into the radiator on the driver's side under the radiator cap. I went a head and tightened up the nut since. Hopefully, that is all it was. But, if replacement is needed:

1) Does the entire line have to be replaced, or, is there an O-ring kit or adapter kit that can be used so the whole line does not need to be replaced?

2) Does the radiator need to be flushed to replace the line or will coolant loss be minimal? I don't have the set up at home to deal with all the coolant if the radiator needs to be flushed.

3) Any issues with seized connectors at the radiator or transmission pan? I don't really want to mess with replacing either of those if possible.

#2 ·
The transmission cooler portion of the radiator is separate from the engine coolant. If you are losing coolant at this fitting, you may have a cracked radiator at the fitting joint. I would pressure test the cooling system just to confirm the source of the leak.

#4 ·
I had a similar issue on my '00 but at the lower line.
Very minor leak of coolant.
It was last year just as the weather was turning bad.
I tried tightening up the hose and couple other simple things.
Trying real hard to not pull the radiator cause I don't have a garage.
When what I thought was a really bad idea popped into my head.
That the nut that secured the fitting for the lower tranny line on the radiator had loosened up.
And maybe coolant was seeping out there.
Now this is with a 7 or so year old Napa, rebranded Spectra, radiator.
So I removed the fan and put a wrench to the nut.
Sure enough it was loose. Snugged it up a bit and all was good.
I did not even know this was a thing. LOL.
The scary thing is that if the weather were nice I probably would have just yanked out the radiator and defected it.
Has a lifetime warranty.
Never realizing what was really wrong. LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.