Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

tranny fluid

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  stamp 
#1 ·
I'm trying to find info on how to change tranny fluid on my 2000 XJ automatic. I've done standard before. I have found some info but nothing clear. can someone break it down. I'm getting a hayns manual soon but wanna hear what you guys gotta say.

p.s. thanks on the sea foam tip. I'm pretty excited to try it. also I have my own tools but really no where to work on my stuff. are there any hobby shops where a guy can rent a spot. a hilly gravel driveway in the woods of Shutesbury, ma can be a pain. especially when its 20 degrees and snowy

#2 ·
You can change the tranny fluid two ways:

1: drop the tranny pan and let it pour out. Re-seal it and bolt it back on and then fill er up.

2: take er to a shop and have em flush it.

If you do number one, you won't get all the tranny fluid out since some of it is still in the torque converter. Number two gets all the fluid out but you gotta pay some $$ to get it done (usually $99+).

Pouring it in the dipstick is how you fill her back up.

#3 ·
My 91 has a drain plug on the pan. In any case, if you want to change the filter as well, you will have to drop the pan...can be a bit of a pain getting it to separate from the dipstick tube. Either way, you will not get all the old fluid out. As mentioned above, the only way to get all the fluid is a complete flush.

#4 ·
ok i read about this once ...
do xjs have tranny coolers?

if so drive it around till you know the transmission is at operating temperature

figure out what side has pressure and what side doesnt of the tranny cooler
with the vehicle off disco the pressure side and put it in an empty 5 gallon bucket
take the vacuum side and put it in another empty bucket and fill it with atf and
turn her on and run it through till the fluid coming out of the pressure side is red and clean....

if that doesnt make sense to anyone im sorry and if i missed anything please feel free to add it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.