Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 1990 jeep Cherokee has a switch on the dash for the tranny. It's a power or comfort switch.
My question is can I switch that on the fly? And what exactly is it?

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
calicrawler68 said:
So my 1990 jeep Cherokee has a switch on the dash for the tranny. It's a power or comfort switch.
My question is can I switch that on the fly? And what exactly is it?
Yes it can be shifted on the fly. All it does is move the shift point up about 300-500 RPM. This keeps the Jeep from dropping out of the power band while hauling heavy. A lot of people will claim it also boosts the pump pressure in the trans. This is not true. The pump pressure is mechanically controlled by the "other cable" at the throttle body. I guess on a round about way the pressure might be a little higher due to the increased RPM, but the switch has nothing to do with it.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
You might see a mile or two difference if you drive it like a church van.

·
Registered
91 Posts
From 92' to 01' 4.0 cherokees, was the tranny "power" option made permanent? :)

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
Never put the switch on the Comfort setting. HO's are all hardwired into the Power setting. The Comfort setting allows for a smoother shift, but it lets the disks slip, leading to faster transmission wear. As far as I know this hasn't led to an outright failure of an AW4 because of Comfort mode, but I personally don't want to cause any more wear than necessary simply because I want my rig to ride like a Caddy.

The other common debate is regarding gas mileage... this all depends on the miles, previous wear on the tranny, vehicle weight/modifications, how well the motor runs... but from my experience with my old MJ that had the same switch, the Power setting actually WILL get better mileage (even shifting at the higher rpms) because the motor is deeper into its optimal power range, meaning the rig is less likely to bog down trying to upshift on an incline or something.

Honestly, if ChryCo/AMC wired the HO's to permanently be in Power mode, there was probably a reason.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By saying that, town driving(easy on the throttle/grandpa driving) would be ok to run in comfort, but hills, pulling, wheeling, racing, ect you want it on power? Ya or na?

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
hick92 said:
I'd say just leave it in power
I can't argue with that. It won't hurt anything.

Will through out there though, I just sold my 88 DD. it had 356k on it. The only part not original in the drivetrain was the rear axle.

I put 250k on it and never had the power switch on. Didn't like seeing the light on. I don't know how long it would have gone but it still shifted like new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Never put the switch on the Comfort setting. HO's are all hardwired into the Power setting. The Comfort setting allows for a smoother shift, but it lets the disks slip, leading to faster transmission wear. As far as I know this hasn't led to an outright failure of an AW4 because of Comfort mode, but I personally don't want to cause any more wear than necessary simply because I want my rig to ride like a Caddy.

The other common debate is regarding gas mileage... this all depends on the miles, previous wear on the tranny, vehicle weight/modifications, how well the motor runs... but from my experience with my old MJ that had the same switch, the Power setting actually WILL get better mileage (even shifting at the higher rpms) because the motor is deeper into its optimal power range, meaning the rig is less likely to bog down trying to upshift on an incline or something.

Honestly, if ChryCo/AMC wired the HO's to permanently be in Power mode, there was probably a reason.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great advice! my Cherokee was stalling on load or going slow up hill, I turned the power switch on and it's working better than I can remember. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts