Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I know I might get some crap for asking this, but why in the world can't our 4wd be kept on while on pavement? The stock front end doesn't have a locker so it should roll just like the rear axle does...right? I was thinking about making a stroker out of my tired 4.0 and taking the jeep to the drags while having the 4wd engaged. How fast can we operate the transfer case? I mean, is it only good for under 50mph or something? Can it be taken up to 100mph? I thought a 300 hp stroker with all wheel drive and gutted would make one awesome sleeper jeep. I dont do much wheeling so I would spend my money to make the jeep streetable. (don't worry I wont put stupid ghetto chrome wheels on it)

Thanks for any input

Ray

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
You might want to lower the jeep if you want to scream down the highway at the century mark. 100mph is a little squirrely in a XJ. But I drive mine like a grandma so you should listen to somebody "cooler". That said my buddy has 5.9 ZJ with the fulltime case and some low pro Z rated tires and it is plenty fast. He also runs it w/out the front driveshaft so he can really drift corners. I have to admit that it is kind of fun to rally that rig.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think I could ever lower a jeep, it kinda goes against Jeepism religion. I think the stock hieght is just fine, considering that my rear leafs are sagging terriblly. The transfer case sounds like my fix for what I want to do. I was thinking about a stroked 4.0 to the 4.7 with NOS. Can this transfer case handle that kind of power down the strip? Can this transfer case handle full time mode at such high speeds?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im assuming a base 4.7 would give me ~240hp. Plus NOS I might be squeezing 350hp? I also plan on gutting the interior except the passenger seat, dash, and consol. THis will lighten her up a little to reduce a little load on that transfer case. I want to keep the air and heat so I can drive her daily.

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
I don't think I could ever lower a jeep, it kinda goes against Jeepism religion. I think the stock hieght is just fine, considering that my rear leafs are sagging terriblly. The transfer case sounds like my fix for what I want to do. I was thinking about a stroked 4.0 to the 4.7 with NOS. Can this transfer case handle that kind of power down the strip? Can this transfer case handle full time mode at such high speeds?
I'll be going against the jeepism religion soon. My xj is coming down from the sky....just a little.

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
yeah, well you arent lowering it from stock now are you? Anything lower than stock in my opinion is too low.
not stock...whew....but yeah you are right. lowering from stock is a crime punishable by by all means.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
not stock...whew....but yeah you are right. lowering from stock is a crime punishable by by all means.
Aw gee ... and here I was thinking of contacting AirRide to see about airsprings so my 5' tall wife doesn't keep hurting her arthritic hips when entering and exiting our XJ.

Of course, the smoother ride and ability to lift my frame if I high center would be a couple benefits . . . .

Budd (who's never been good at following the crowd . . . )

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Aw gee ... and here I was thinking of contacting AirRide to see about airsprings so my 5' tall wife doesn't keep hurting her arthritic hips when entering and exiting our XJ.

Of course, the smoother ride and ability to lift my frame if I high center would be a couple benefits . . . .

Budd (who's never been good at following the crowd . . . )
Do it...sounds freakin cool though. Adjustable air ride suspension. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts