Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
2x1 inch tube and a drill bit is all you need. You can use 1x1 but you don't get much contact surface with the framerail.
If you take a good hit to your xmember this could be a concern.
Buying one from some place is almost crazy seeing as you can make one in under 10 minutes with a drill press.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
What is in a transfer case drop kit. I am thinking about just making my own with some scrap steel i have laying around (1x1 square tube)
Take a look in our writeup section, there is some DIY TCase drops there. But basically just get some 1" steel stock and put a couple bolts through it.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
If you run are going to run a bolt straight through the block, then 1" is fine. If you are going to run a nut on the stud, then you need 2" x 1" because otherwise you won't be able to get any type of wrench in there.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I would put a nut on the stud. That's what I did and it's been working fine for almost a year.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Why not go with a SYE? It will be a better solution to the problem in the long run, especially if you're going to lift it more.

I personally think that our bellys hang low as it is, and would avoid the tcase drop just for that detail.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Not really, just soak them with PB Blaster for a couple days.
Nah, they really can be a PITA to get out. I was never able to get mine out and I tried everything. PB blaster, heat, EZ outs. I eventually just cut half of it off, stuck a square tube in there for a tcase drop and called it good.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why not go with a SYE? It will be a better solution to the problem in the long run, especially if you're going to lift it more.

I personally think that our bellys hang low as it is, and would avoid the tcase drop just for that detail.
Ya I want to get one and that is the next thing that i am going to buy but i am going to do the drop the t-case for now just so i can drive it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
ok sounds good i will use the 2x1 tube instead of 1x1. I seems crazy to spend 30 bucks on something you can make for about 5 bucks!
I strongly agree. I just helped a friend do his transfer drop and when I saw the kit he had ordered, I couldn't help but laugh. They are real simple to make yourself. I think he spent 60 after shipping. I have little to no expirence fabercating and I think I could produce one in minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys, I am gonna probably throw one of these on my cherokee shortly, any ideas where I could pick up the 1x2 tube??

Also, I am pretty handy, but just learning to fab, do I need to look for a specific thickness of the stuff

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
i have a set i got from rustys but still havent put them on. the damn studs still havent come out so im thinkin of jst getttin the dropped skid plate n call it a day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best thing for getting those studs out is to get a bottle jack or any jack and jack your jeep up on those studs, one at a time, and the should just pop right up into the uni body and you can get them out in some spots but i could only get one of mine

·
Registered
840 Posts
The thing about those studs is the little shoulder in the middle of the stud.

It won't fit through the holes in the crossmember.
So you have to lower the crossmember on the side you are working on, to get the stud out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts