Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's a minor woe, but still.

I've been having issues with my NP242J. It goes into Full Time fine, but then won't go back to 2WD.

You can feel that it is in Part Time when taking sharp turns. That is even if I put it back into Full time because I know it is acting up.

I've read about the grooves that form over time, but before I pull the thing apart and start replacing parts, is there anything I can do to get around this?

Does backing up really do anything to help release the tranfer case internals back to 2WD?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
This is actually pretty typical of the the NP242, the method that works best for me both in my XJ and in my girlfriends Liberty is shifting the trans into N, then in one swift, but firm shift going from 4FT to 2WD, and then shift back to D. I do it when the Jeep(s) is moving and it works perfectly every time.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great! I'll try that. I've already streatched one chain and replaced it, the next time all the guts are getting replaced. I want to hold off until I can afford the SYE and do it all at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After spending so many hours under the Jeep changing out the drive chain I was fearful to take it out of 4x4. I have 1 u-joint on the front drive shaft that has 140k miles on it so I really wanted to get the stress off of it.

On the way home close to the house, I tried the neutral trick. I was going pretty slow 20 or less. I put it into neutral, then moved the 4x4 selector forward and "pop". I put it back into drive, then make a couple of sharpish turns, then a really tight one. Worked!

This morning I'm sitting at a light (misting out) the light changes and I hit the gas. The rear end breaks loose and I start to fish tail. I let off the gas long enough for the rear tires to stop spinning and then continued on.

I thought I either needed to leave the from the next light slower, or put it in 4x4. I put it in 4x4. :D

Mild acceleration I hear a loud pop, like the chain slipped, or it wasn't fully engaged. I let off the accelerator, and then continued on.

Next light no noise, just go.

Anyway I get close to work, so at about 40 mph I put it into neutral and push the 4x4 selector forward. No sound, but it is pretty noisy with the MT, road noise etc...

I make the turn into work. I start up the parking garage and first sharp turn, yep part time is engaged. I nurse it around that turn, then while still moving pull the 4x4 selector to full time, put the transmission in neutral, then push the 4x4 selector back to 2wd, and I hear the now familiar noise of the NP242 disengaging. Another sharp turn in the parking garage confirms I'm back in 2WD.

So I guess it is to soon to say for sure, but it seems like low speed neutral/4WDto2WD works better than say going 30 mph and doing it.

Bottom line it worked, and I didn't have the chain slip "loud pop" again.

I can tell I'm getting close to the time of learning how to rebuild the 242 completely.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
So I guess it is to soon to say for sure, but it seems like low speed neutral/4WDto2WD works better than say going 30 mph and doing it
Speed doesn't make much of a difference. It works just as well for me at 25 MPH as it does at 70 MPH.

But hey, each XJ is different :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts