Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. I'm Brad and I'm new here to the forum. I'm from middle Tennessee and have a '97 Cherokee Country with a Rusty's 3"lift. Just wanted to introduce myself before I started my question.

My Jeep has about 170K miles on it and as far as I know the transmission fluid has NEVER been changed! Sounds pretty ridiculous I know. I've heard around that if the transmission fluid is this old and has never been changed that it's a good idea to just leave it alone because as soon as you change it, it will fall apart. Is this myth true? Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I changed mine at well over 100.000 there were no problems. the problem is if you have it power flushed. that could cause issues

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Change it. why go 170k and never change the tranny oil? it's like going 170k and never changing the engine oil. your engine won't be happy, neither will the tranny.

Change it. If you are afraid of flushing it then drain and fill.....about 6 times so you can get it all out. But i'd just flush it if I were you. I had my tranny flushed TWICE at 91k and no issues at all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
as swells said the problem comes from power flushing. i worked at a quick lube shop last year and a guy came in and said he wanted a tranny flush with 150k and never flushed i warned him of what could happen and had him sign a form saying we would not be held resposible. so i tried to sell him a pan drop with a filter change and a refill he didnt want that he wanted it flushed so thats what we did he came back about a week later and his tranny went out on him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. You've been very helpful. I'll probably just do the drain and fill a few times. A dead tranny is the last thing I need. I don't want to chance it.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Yeah I definitely recommend just dropping the pan, changing the filter and filling it back up. Then after a couple hundred miles just drain and refill once more.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yeah I definitely recommend just dropping the pan, changing the filter and filling it back up. Then after a couple hundred miles just drain and refill once more.
Thats what im doing with mine J/Y tarnny. Leave fluid in for bout 100-150 miles change fluid and filter everything should be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts