Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
um i just kind sorta built/ put together a 97 cr80... she ran fine for about 5min.. then she shut off, no weird sounds.. wen i cranked her back up she sounded like a four stroke:brickwall:. lost all power.while i had it running i did not go wot seeing how i was breaking her in. she still has compression. can anyone point me in the right direction? thank u!

·
Banned
851 Posts
I would start by making sure your exhaust is sealed ageist the head. Than check all the head bolts, than what are you running your mix at?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
32-1 and i do need to seal my exhaust.. thank u.. bout my head bolts i will do that tom after school.. any other ideas?

·
Registered
409 Posts
sounds like a cold sezure, you reved it too high for too long before it was properly warmed up or its just time for new rings and piston (you replace them regularly like a tune up) . your rings are gone, check the cylinder, make sure its not scored, if it is. bore it out or hone it and replace the piston and rings (no matter what), and your good. If you dont believe me just call a shop

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i didnt rev it much and it has a fresh top end on it. i let it sit for about 5mins just tapping the gas not goin anywere near the power band. then when i rode it, i did not hit the powerband whats so ever.. just cruisied around my apt complex.. had the old people getting mad..btw it sat for a long time before i was able to finish it.. it has perfect compression

·
Banned
851 Posts
What is your compression? And for brake in I have always ran a 1/2 tank of 25 to 1 just so all is lubed well. You'll kill your spark plug but it's worth it to get all seated...

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i dont have a compression tester but it has plenty..i mean i cant just do it with my hand. next to impossible. i wish i wouldve ran a richer mix.. for some reason i think it might be something in my carb.. and yes i do need to get my owners manual. but i got this thing out of a garage under like 5ft of something and all the way in the back corner taken apart.. also seeing how i was working at the humane society i really wasnt makin all the money in the world so i had to save every penny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts