Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I debated posting this, but I'm gonna go ahead and do it anyways. I have a dilemma. I start a new job in May, and my commute will become a solid hour of highway driving. I do not have a vehicle that will safely, quickly, and cheapishly get me to work on time on the highway. The ranger OWR is too underpowered and unreliable, and the jeep is well, the jeep: slowish, geared incorrectly, needs a rebuilt front end, and sucks gas. So I'm looking for a new truck, this time newer and more reliable with a little more power. I have 3 options as I see it:
A) buy a car
B) buy a small truck
C) buy a big truck

Pros and cons of them are:
A) buy a car
-the jeep is still my "big vehicle"
-a small car is only good for point a to point b drives with no cargo
-but it has great gas mileage
-no resale value
-
B) buy a small truck
-have one now and like it
-hate s10s, so I'm limited to Dakotas and rangers
-newer small trucks with lower miles are stupid expensive for what they are, and getting a big truck won't cost much more
-cant haul the jeep, jeep is still my "big vehicle"
-can haul dirtier or bulkier things than the jeep

C) buy a big truck
-doesnt cost much more than a good Ranger or Dakota
-retires jeep as "big vehicle"
-able to borrow or buy a trailer and haul the jeep
-can haul heavier items
-a newer one will get decent mileage (better than the jeep)
-opens up potential for more uses than small car
-maintenance will cost more

So, what do you guys think?
I'm currently looking at f150s, f250s, and ram trucks. I DO NOT want a GM product, and am not really looking at Toyota's, but I don't have anything against them either.
Thoughts are that an older diesel is very reliable, but parts are spendy, and purchase cost is high. A newer gas means lower miles and better economy and reliability, but also leaves price up. A new diesel is too complicated and maintenance intensive and I don't want to spend the rest of my life paying it off. Also, I don't want to spend 10 grand when they need to replace egr stuff and have to remove the cab.

I want you to tell me what model truck with what specs and engine you would be looking at. Details.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Well I'm not much of a truck guy but do is possess vehicles with truck motors. I know GM is out of the equation but as a comparison I have a Tahoe with a 5.3 or point 4 whatever it is and is severely underpowered in comparison to my Hemi I have no problems towing anything or having power when I need it. Hemis have their issues with the exhaust manifolds can be a costly repair I've read that the motor needs pulled to do. Hemi is in my commander. I love the vehicle will go anywhere in any weather condition with the quadra-drive 2. I am with you on being anti-gm but truth be told they are pretty reliable even more so than our Jeeps. Personally I would go for Dodge just because they are cheaper and like I said I love my Hemi. I'm not a big fan of diesel nor do I know too much about him so I cannot comment about that

·
Super Moderator
10,437 Posts
Just a thought. find a forum about what you are looking for. then spend some time reading. I bought my 2002 Jetta, yes it's a VW, end of last year to cure my gas guzzling blues. you've heard the horror stories! :eek: I only paid 2 grand for the car, and after bending the rods, I put another 2.5 grand into it, and currently have for 4500 a very strong runner that gets 40+ mpg all day long.

And this is what I plan to do to mine :D 2" lift kit and 215/75/15's. Although it won't tow your jeep, it can tow. BTW this is a 2005 Passat Wagon. Some can even be had in AWD!!! Git you some of that.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. But you have a jeep? Why need another wagon, even if it does get awesome mileage?

·
Super Moderator
10,437 Posts
I'm not advocating a wagon. Just showing how cool they look with a lift and larger tires!
I have a sedan, but if I had to travel as much as you do, a wagon would help me transport more cargo, and it would do it cheaply and look great doing it! :D Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you choose option a, small car. Great for the commute, terrible versatility. Cheaper than a good truck but money would have to be spent to keep the jeep in top shape as the big rig. Ok.

While I know what I want to do, I want to know more about what others in my situation would do, and why, with a little debate to discuss their reasons and make sure they are trying to see from another point of view as well as their own. My buddies and I have been at this for a few days now, and I've managed to get them to tell me every option I've laid out here. Hasn't gotten me anywhere. Lol

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
If your job depends on reliable transportation then I would just buy a newer large truck Park the Jeep call it a toy.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's where I'm headed, but with the goal of keeping the jeep on the road as a backup. The job is just an office job, but the commute is too much for the moment. Eventually there will be relocating and more to change that, but I need something reliable anyways. So my 25 year old ranger will need to move on. The speedo tops out at 85, and while that's plenty fast for a manual steering truck, it's also the absolute limit for it, and I want to be able to get out of the way on the highway if something happens near me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
What I did when I started truck shopping was got on every forum out there and did a ton of googling. In the end I ended up in a tundra and haven't looked back.. I have had 4 of them now and none of them were ever in the shop for anything, now my wife's tahoe is a different story. It has had nothing but issues from day one, we will never go GM again unless its a diesel and im not even sure itll happen then. The tundra will tow anything you put behind it, bad part is they don't do great on gas.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Yeah I agree with that the tundra makes my Hemi look like a Prius

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
F150 with the Ecoboost engine. Great power and good gas milage. My wife's Expedition gets 19-20 mpg and so does my F150.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I choose to go with a half ton, both the ram hemi and ford models are at the top of my list.

·
Super Moderator
1,129 Posts
Both good trucks. I like Fords better. Either would do what you need. The 1/2 ton Ford will tow around 9500 lbs.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Depending on your budget I would go Ford first Ram second. But like I said before Rams are usually much cheaper

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That depends on whether I go Cummins or hemi also.

·
Super Moderator
10,437 Posts
FWIW! I just got back from a weekend trip to Hershey, PA. Total miles round trip was 450. I'm still at 3/8 of a tank, but rough estimates put me right around 55 MPG! :eek:

Just saying.

BTW, I vote F150 Ecoboost!. :D

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
No new truck for me. Ever.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wont be brand new. But itll have to be recent. Im not high on the ecoboost drug, but they are better than some alternatives, and Im not going to buy brand new becuase I dont want to spend my life paying it off. BUT, its going to cost some serious money for once, because much like Mudd, Im tired of spending every day underneath the vehicles that need to get me to work everyday. Such is life.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 66 Posts