Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks gluck. It's nice to check all the years and prices. And they're all very consistent with what I've seen. And just a short jog up the highway.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Id stay away from the mini cooper. I met a lady once who had scars all over her body. I asked her what had happened she said her and her husband were driving her SUV and ran head on with a mini cooper. The mini cooper blew up and caught both cars on fire. There were no survivors in the mini cooper. Her husband died and she alone survived. Her words to me were never buy a mini cooper.

·
Super Moderator
11,132 Posts
Id stay away from the mini cooper. I met a lady once who had scars all over her body. I asked her what had happened she said her and her husband were driving her SUV and ran head on with a mini cooper. The mini cooper blew up and caught both cars on fire. There were no survivors in the mini cooper. Her husband died and she alone survived. Her words to me were never buy a mini cooper.
:eek: Too Late Now!!!

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeah too late. And I'm loving the thing. Pintos were known for that too and the reality is most of them were just fine

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Why don't you get a 98-99 ish Dakota with a v8? My dad had a 99 with the 5.2 and 5 speed. That thing would burn the tires all the way through 3rd and chirp 4th

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Because they're rusted out around here and they're old. I wanted something newer for commuting purposes. Wasn't buying anything older than the jeep, but still wanted to keep it sorta simple. Just got the girlfriend to get rid of her 05 Dakota and I'm glad. It sucked so see out of, work on, and service.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Its a completely different fit from what this thread was originally discussing, but I found this yesterday and I believe Montana now holds my heart. Its ****-brown, just a hint of rust, full of compartments, 4x4, and equipped with the full array of western bumpers/accessories. Im in love guys.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
That's one bada** Ford. I see 8 lug wheels 3/4 or 1 ton?

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
3/4

·
Registered
299 Posts
Unless you really need a truck. Get the Mini good on gas handle great and fast. Also the coolest tiny car ever.
I have considered getting a Mini as I have a 44 mile one way commute also.

·
Super Moderator
11,132 Posts
Unless you really need a truck. Get the Mini good on gas handle great and fast. Also the coolest tiny car ever.
I have considered getting a Mini as I have a 44 mile one way commute also.
HE HE. He already has a mini!

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Yeah, this thread is actually old. I got a new job with an hour long commute last May. I needed something NOW, and after a fast n furious debate with myself and on here and friends and family, I found a Mini that I fought a month long battle to get. The build thread is on here.

I love the Mini, they have their quirks like any other car, but Im a hell of a lot happier in it than I would be in a Honda. Im not sure where all the negative stuff came from above, but I haven't heard of any spontaneous combustion. The amount of vehicles with fuel tanks in the rear is the majority of whats on the road. No reason a grand cherokee would be any less dangerous to be rear ended in than a Mini. Unless of course, I get run over, that would suck.

But I still want a truck, even if it doesn't fit my purposes....:brickwall:

·
Registered
299 Posts
I know what a long commute is i drive from New Haven to Stamford in Connecticut. In the morning I leave at 5:20 get to work around 6:15. In the afternoon time of departure varies but usually 4ish home around 5:50-6:00. :brickwall:
Going to have to drive the Jeep for about 2 years like that. Keep me postid I might be joining you with a Mini. I love trucks. But that's a cool little car.:thumbsup:
My favorite vehicle was my 1979 1/2 ton stepside chevy 6" lift 36x14.5R15 groundhogs. Never got stuck lol.

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Yeah, this thread is actually old. I got a new job with an hour long commute last May. I needed something NOW, and after a fast n furious debate with myself and on here and friends and family, I found a Mini that I fought a month long battle to get. The build thread is on here.

I love the Mini, they have their quirks like any other car, but Im a hell of a lot happier in it than I would be in a Honda. Im not sure where all the negative stuff came from above, but I haven't heard of any spontaneous combustion. The amount of vehicles with fuel tanks in the rear is the majority of whats on the road. No reason a grand cherokee would be any less dangerous to be rear ended in than a Mini. Unless of course, I get run over, that would suck.

But I still want a truck, even if it doesn't fit my purposes....:brickwall:
I almost went with a Mini as a DD a couple years ago but I read about it being like a Jaguar, in for repairs more than on the road. TOO many previous owners chimed in on what a hassle it was to own a Mini and how cheaply it was built so I passed on it. My ex, at that time, ended up buying a Hyundai Elantra, which is also a piece of **** but only been in the shop 6 times for something they cannot figure out. :rolleyes:

I never will buy or own a car. It's either a truck or suv in Toyota or Jeep flavor. Reliable and hard to fix when needed and unreliable and easy to fix when needed.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I almost went with a Mini as a DD a couple years ago but I read about it being like a Jaguar, in for repairs more than on the road. TOO many previous owners chimed in on what a hassle it was to own a Mini and how cheaply it was built so I passed on it. My ex, at that time, ended up buying a Hyundai Elantra, which is also a piece of **** but only been in the shop 6 times for something they cannot figure out. :rolleyes:

I never will buy or own a car. It's either a truck or suv in Toyota or Jeep flavor. Reliable and hard to fix when needed and unreliable and easy to fix when needed.
I've got over 22,000 miles on this mini without anything more than a hiccup. I wish I could say that about my jeep sometimes. I've done front struts and brakes and thermostat. All expected at 100,000 miles or more.

Like I said, I'm not sure where the negative reviews come from. Everything I've read was positive. The people who own minis are very much like Jeep owners in that they love their cars and their reliability. ****, they even wave to each other. That was unexpected. Just like the TDI guys, any vehicle can be finickey, we each have our reasons for keeping and enjoying them.

If I didn't have this commute I wouldn't own one, but you won't catch me dead in a Honda civic or something awful like that either.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I used to have a 92 ford ranger as a DD. I ran it till it wore out. It was a great little tuck that got 23 miles to the gallon. A/C was awesome in that little cab. I also had a deep tool box in the back. I sure would like another one. They are hard to find for sale around here.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I used to have a 92 ford ranger as a DD. I ran it till it wore out. It was a great little tuck that got 23 miles to the gallon. A/C was awesome in that little cab. I also had a deep tool box in the back. I sure would like another one. They are hard to find for sale around here.
Just sold my 91 in June. GUy in town is still running it daily.

·
Super Moderator
11,132 Posts
I had to sell my 98 extended cab, 4 banger with a 5 speed cause it wasn't big enough for hauling my wife and 2 kids around in. Loved that little truck. And I used it. 1200 lb of gravel several times! :D. And 24 mpg. Miss it? Yep!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts