Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I once had a 4cyl 5 speed s10. Could get 402 miles to a tank in city driving. Compare that to my 100ish miles on my jeep

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I've got an 87 MJ drives great but some brake issues lol. My last MJ got like 14 and my first 4 banger MJ got like 10mpg but had 456 gears and stock tires shaved head triple cut valves ect alot of engine mods

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
THE THREAD CONTINUES...

Im still looking for a truck. The requirements are nearly the same as before, but the current list is as follows:

Ford or Dodge preferred, squarebody Chevy considered.
-3/4ton or greater
-diesel
-(pre-2006) Probably
-8ft bed
-4x4
-strongly hoping for a manual transmission
-must be able to handle a 15hr trip with no issues or concerns
-utility bed is preferred but not required
-must be able to tow a trailer loaded with a Jeep!

If anyone knows about one for sale within a state or two of Iowa Id be curious to see some info.

But really I just want to hear your thoughts on a similar truck or if Im looking at the wrong things. Tell me what Im forgetting or missing.

·
Super Moderator
11,132 Posts
THE THREAD CONTINUES...

Im still looking for a truck. The requirements are nearly the same as before, but the current list is as follows:

Ford or Dodge preferred, squarebody Chevy considered.
-3/4ton or greater
-diesel
-(pre-2006) Probably
-8ft bed
-4x4
-strongly hoping for a manual transmission
-must be able to handle a 15hr trip with no issues or concerns
-utility bed is preferred but not required
-must be able to tow a trailer loaded with a Jeep!

If anyone knows about one for sale within a state or two of Iowa Id be curious to see some info.

But really I just want to hear your thoughts on a similar truck or if Im looking at the wrong things. Tell me what Im forgetting or missing.
pre-2006 puts you before all the diesel emissions ruined the engines. I give this a thumbs ups!

Fords early power stroke is one of the best pickup engines out there. LOTS of options for more power! The 5.9 cummins in the dodge is a solid choice. I have heard about the duramax in the chevy, but only know of 1 guy with one. and that's not a square body.

I assume you want a single rear wheel and not dully. Or are you looking for a serious tow-rig?

Utility bed may be a tougher find.

I would recommend a gooseneck trailer at the minimum. hitch pulls work but the gooseneck is far more stable when hauling a loaded trailer.

4x4 is a given! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
pre-2006 puts you before all the diesel emissions ruined the engines. I give this a thumbs ups!

Fords early power stroke is one of the best pickup engines out there. LOTS of options for more power! The 5.9 cummins in the dodge is a solid choice. I have heard about the duramax in the chevy, but only know of 1 guy with one. and that's not a square body.

I assume you want a single rear wheel and not dully. Or are you looking for a serious tow-rig?

Utility bed may be a tougher find.

I would recommend a gooseneck trailer at the minimum. hitch pulls work but the gooseneck is far more stable when hauling a loaded trailer.

4x4 is a given!
Not trailer shopping yet, but it'll probably be a bumper pull because I'll want a smaller one that fits the jeep but also the lawn tractor. I dont need a big one....yet.

Dually for the truck is overkill but not ruled out. Some are cheaper than SRW

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Requirements are the same, but options have changed a little. I opened up to a newer half ton, but I am very picky so I narrowed it back down to a single config/model/brand. A newer F150 (6 years old - new) with a long bed and extended cab (but not full 4 door) would be a great truck for me as long as it had the 5.0 v8. Ford is the only brand I like making that body config. I have no interest in an ecoboost or minivan with a small truck bed. For this reason I eliminated the Gladiator as well. What an expensive joke of a "truck". So I look, but I haven't purchased. I like not making payments lol

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
A break in the case! I began the talks of buying my late grandfather's truck. 2000 GMC 3500 single rear wheel, 5.7L auto, 4x4. Nothing special but super low miles and a little rust to fix before it gets bad. Body is clean. Runs good, just needs caught up on all the little things a 20 year old truck needs. Dad and my sibling attempted to get it up and running last year for her to take to Wyoming from Ohio, and the truck wanted nothing to do with it. Every time they fixed something, something else unrelated and even dumber decided to break. Like fix the brakes and the doorlatch snaps. Fix the latch and the shift linkage comes apart. Fix that and the window crank comes off. Smart truck, I wouldn't want a college kid to abuse me all the way across the country either. It gets 12mpg, can tow anything I want, has 4x4 and an 8ft bed. Needs a cleaned up but thats the same story as everything I own so Im used to it.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
This case is closed. As of September of 2021 (a year after the last post), the truck is in my possession. It needs the fuel tank installed along with lines, the front brakes need rebuilt, and the intake needs a new gasket. This will all get done very soon once I get the toyota to a point I can drive it out of the garage.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

Attachments

61 - 69 of 69 Posts