Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

Truck Shopping

9K views 69 replies 10 participants last post by  XJSuperman 
#1 ·
Ok, so I debated posting this, but I'm gonna go ahead and do it anyways. I have a dilemma. I start a new job in May, and my commute will become a solid hour of highway driving. I do not have a vehicle that will safely, quickly, and cheapishly get me to work on time on the highway. The ranger OWR is too underpowered and unreliable, and the jeep is well, the jeep: slowish, geared incorrectly, needs a rebuilt front end, and sucks gas. So I'm looking for a new truck, this time newer and more reliable with a little more power. I have 3 options as I see it:
A) buy a car
B) buy a small truck
C) buy a big truck

Pros and cons of them are:
A) buy a car
-the jeep is still my "big vehicle"
-a small car is only good for point a to point b drives with no cargo
-but it has great gas mileage
-no resale value
-
B) buy a small truck
-have one now and like it
-hate s10s, so I'm limited to Dakotas and rangers
-newer small trucks with lower miles are stupid expensive for what they are, and getting a big truck won't cost much more
-cant haul the jeep, jeep is still my "big vehicle"
-can haul dirtier or bulkier things than the jeep

C) buy a big truck
-doesnt cost much more than a good Ranger or Dakota
-retires jeep as "big vehicle"
-able to borrow or buy a trailer and haul the jeep
-can haul heavier items
-a newer one will get decent mileage (better than the jeep)
-opens up potential for more uses than small car
-maintenance will cost more

So, what do you guys think?
I'm currently looking at f150s, f250s, and ram trucks. I DO NOT want a GM product, and am not really looking at Toyota's, but I don't have anything against them either.
Thoughts are that an older diesel is very reliable, but parts are spendy, and purchase cost is high. A newer gas means lower miles and better economy and reliability, but also leaves price up. A new diesel is too complicated and maintenance intensive and I don't want to spend the rest of my life paying it off. Also, I don't want to spend 10 grand when they need to replace egr stuff and have to remove the cab.

I want you to tell me what model truck with what specs and engine you would be looking at. Details.

See less See more
#62 ·
I've got an 87 MJ drives great but some brake issues lol. My last MJ got like 14 and my first 4 banger MJ got like 10mpg but had 456 gears and stock tires shaved head triple cut valves ect alot of engine mods

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

#63 ·
THE THREAD CONTINUES...

Im still looking for a truck. The requirements are nearly the same as before, but the current list is as follows:

Ford or Dodge preferred, squarebody Chevy considered.
-3/4ton or greater
-diesel
-(pre-2006) Probably
-8ft bed
-4x4
-strongly hoping for a manual transmission
-must be able to handle a 15hr trip with no issues or concerns
-utility bed is preferred but not required
-must be able to tow a trailer loaded with a Jeep!

If anyone knows about one for sale within a state or two of Iowa Id be curious to see some info.

But really I just want to hear your thoughts on a similar truck or if Im looking at the wrong things. Tell me what Im forgetting or missing.

#64 ·
pre-2006 puts you before all the diesel emissions ruined the engines. I give this a thumbs ups!

Fords early power stroke is one of the best pickup engines out there. LOTS of options for more power! The 5.9 cummins in the dodge is a solid choice. I have heard about the duramax in the chevy, but only know of 1 guy with one. and that's not a square body.

I assume you want a single rear wheel and not dully. Or are you looking for a serious tow-rig?

Utility bed may be a tougher find.

I would recommend a gooseneck trailer at the minimum. hitch pulls work but the gooseneck is far more stable when hauling a loaded trailer.

4x4 is a given! :thumbsup:

#66 ·
Requirements are the same, but options have changed a little. I opened up to a newer half ton, but I am very picky so I narrowed it back down to a single config/model/brand. A newer F150 (6 years old - new) with a long bed and extended cab (but not full 4 door) would be a great truck for me as long as it had the 5.0 v8. Ford is the only brand I like making that body config. I have no interest in an ecoboost or minivan with a small truck bed. For this reason I eliminated the Gladiator as well. What an expensive joke of a "truck". So I look, but I haven't purchased. I like not making payments lol

#67 · (Edited)
A break in the case! I began the talks of buying my late grandfather's truck. 2000 GMC 3500 single rear wheel, 5.7L auto, 4x4. Nothing special but super low miles and a little rust to fix before it gets bad. Body is clean. Runs good, just needs caught up on all the little things a 20 year old truck needs. Dad and my sibling attempted to get it up and running last year for her to take to Wyoming from Ohio, and the truck wanted nothing to do with it. Every time they fixed something, something else unrelated and even dumber decided to break. Like fix the brakes and the doorlatch snaps. Fix the latch and the shift linkage comes apart. Fix that and the window crank comes off. Smart truck, I wouldn't want a college kid to abuse me all the way across the country either. It gets 12mpg, can tow anything I want, has 4x4 and an 8ft bed. Needs a cleaned up but thats the same story as everything I own so Im used to it.

#68 ·
This case is closed. As of September of 2021 (a year after the last post), the truck is in my possession. It needs the fuel tank installed along with lines, the front brakes need rebuilt, and the intake needs a new gasket. This will all get done very soon once I get the toyota to a point I can drive it out of the garage.

#69 ·

Attachments

#70 ·
One more update I guess: I have over 2,000mi on the truck since its resurrection 2 months ago. Its been my DD as the Mini's reliability has faded. I still have a long list of parts to throw at it, but its running well with the new fuel system and brakes/hubs, and Im enjoying having a truck. Trailer(s) have also come into my possession recently, so things are coming together finally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.