Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never liked the winch bumpers that stick the winch out in front of the grille on XJ's.

So I built my own for my XJ

Here's where the winch ended up at

I am only loosing a little bit of approach angle compared to stock with no bumper.

These views from underneath and looking at the backside of the winch, show how tight of a fit the winch is, it's against the fan shroud on the right side and there's just a little clearance to the

Click to enlarge pics

I made alot of brackets. It took forever!!

I tied all the brackets into this universal winch plate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Click to enlarge pics
Rt. Inner going in Sleeves nut strips

Inside rail Lt. inner brkt In place

Rt Inner Lt. Lower Rt. Lower

Tapped Lt. side done

Then I removed the control box that mounts on top of the winch, I'll have to remote mount it somewhere else

Then I was able to mount the winch on the universal bracket and bolt it in the vehicle.

I am going to have to clearance a little more of the crossmember and hook up a pull rod to the clutch engagement switch, I'll do that after I build the bumper!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time to start building the front bumper

I started with some 2" x 1/8" square tube, I would usually use thicker material, but I want to keep the weight down. I hope with some strategic side supports, it will be strong enough for the rocks!

I first cut a couple of notches about a foot from center on each side.

Then I beveled the edges and welded them up

Then a test fit to figure out the rest of the angles

The next one is gonna be a 38 degree wedge that I need to cut out

After cutting I welded that one up and the next one is gonna be 47 degrees

Welded that one up and here is how I am finishing off the end

I'm pretty happy with the fit

Did alot of grinding on the welds and gave it a coat of paint.

I'll be adding side supports and other pieces eventually

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Couple of months later....I finally got around to mounting the winch control box, beautiful isn't it?

The cables reach to the winch from this position, but i did have to relocate the remote cable recepticle from where it used to mount next to the switch, to the front of the box.

Then I bolted on the fairlead.

I also hooked up a long bolt that I welded on a T handle for the clutch control

Looks like I lose more approach angle from the fairlead than anything else I've done. Oh well when I go synthetic it won't be so bad.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Brilliant work. I like it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The mounting brackets you made look ALOT like the factory hidden hitch set-up...

I used to love the look of it. and yours looks great. VERY nice work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
dang, thats awesome, oh and where do you park that beast and when are you not around it...??:D
thats got to be one of the cleanest setups i've seen. nice job...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all, it is very much like the factory hidden winch set up from what I understand. Although I doubt the factory parts are still available.

·
Registered
84 Posts
damn thats sexy, i may do someting like that, except my front bumper is gonna be bigger than that, and it will completly hide my winch

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow! I love this idea. Can you make the bracket drawing available...?:dunno:
Maybe sell them as a kit at a low cost. I'd be very interested. It's like Detours' kit, but simpler.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Nice write-up/bumper. Did anyone besides me notice in the title it says wonch instead f winch.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts