Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Okay, I'm a noob at anything car related so bare with me please. I'm planning on doing a tune up this weekend on my 98 xj (4.0L 5spd 2wd) and I was wondering what brands were good to use for certain things. I'm planning on at least getting the following, so what are some good brands?
Oil/Oil Filter
Plugs
Cap and Rotor
Air filter
Now for some Qs...
My xj doesn't have a pcv valve right?
As far as sensors go, like tps cps O2 etc...should I change them as well?
How do I change my tranny/tcase fluid? Where is it located?
Does it matter what type of gas you use 87-89-93 etc? I know that some plugs require higher octanes because they burn at a higher temperature or something but what do you guys use/what is better for engine longevity?
My friend was talking about putting some industrial srength coolant that CAT makes into his car. You guys think that might work well?
Okay last one. What about differerntial fluid? How the hell do I change that?

Please bare with me, I'm trying to learn :bow:!
Thanks guys
PS I painted my cladding last weekend and I'll post some pics.
I also made some 1" hood spacers which im installing this weekend too.
cmac

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yea don't change sensors until your check engine light is on. I use Accel cap/rotor, bosch platnum plugs, K&N oil filter with Valvoline maxlife oil.
As for your other questions,
Yes you have a PCV valve. It is on the top of the valve cover.
Put 87 octane in it, that is what it is designed to burn.
Use whatever coolant you want just make sure it is ethylene glycol based.
The rear diff fluid can be changed two ways, 1: is remove the cover to drain the fluid. You will need a new gasket if you go that way. 2: Go to an auto parts store and get a suction gun, and use it to suck out the old fluid. It is not likely you will get all the old fluid out, but it is easier and it is better than nothing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Wait why not change sensors until they throw codes? Why not just change them before they crap out and leave you stranded somewhere?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Wait why not change sensors until they throw codes? Why not just change them before they crap out and leave you stranded somewhere?
Some of the sensors are very expensive, that's usually why most wait until there is some sort of issue to change them. Most of the time, you'll get a code before there is an actual failure that will leave you deserted.

Oil/Oil Filter
Plugs
Cap and Rotor
Air filter
Now for some Qs...
My xj doesn't have a pcv valve right?
As far as sensors go, like tps cps O2 etc...should I change them as well?
How do I change my tranny/tcase fluid? Where is it located?
Does it matter what type of gas you use 87-89-93 etc? I know that some plugs require higher octanes because they burn at a higher temperature or something but what do you guys use/what is better for engine longevity?
My friend was talking about putting some industrial srength coolant that CAT makes into his car. You guys think that might work well?
Okay last one. What about differerntial fluid? How the hell do I change that?
I use WIX for my oil filters.

Air filter is K&N

You do have a PCV - as Kyle mentioned

You don't have a tcase because yours is a 2WD model, so need in worrying about changing that fluid. If you did have one, you'd find it on the driverside, just behind the trans, basically where the back door is.

87 Octane is what it was made for, no need to spend the money on more expensive fuel.

You diff fluid is easy to change. I'd recommend pulling the cover off and completely draining the fluid because it will allow any bits of metal and such to drain out as well. Typical 80-90 diff fluid will work just fine. All you have to do is use a 1/2" socket to remove the bolts at the perimeter of the cover, pope the cover off, and let the fluid drain. I recommend undoing every bolt except for the one at the 12 o'clock position - just loosen that one. Then take a soft hammer and tap the cover until fluid starts to drain. The gasket that's on there acts like a glue so it'll hold the cover on - that's why you'll need the hammer. Once the majority of the fluid has drained, pull the entire cover, and remove the old gasket with a gasket scraper. You may want to invest in a "Lube Locker" gasket which is much neater than working with RTV to make a new gasket.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Its just not worth it, there are a considerable number of sensors on your rig and most of them cost a lot of money. Often enough you cant tell how long they are going to last, so may aswell not change them until they show signs of failure.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Oh ok, so money aside, there is no real reason not to just change them as a precautionary measure?

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Oh ok, so money aside, there is no real reason not to just change them as a precautionary measure?
Theres really no set increment of when to change them, nobody knows when they go bad they just do. They could last 50k or 200k which is why we just change them when they go bad.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I have 140k miles on my XJ (all my miles) The TPS is the only sensor that I have had problems with, but it never threw a code.

That doesn't mean the sensors are working properly just well enough for the computer to alert me.

My miss has got worse recently, so I am going to change out the CPS this weekend to see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The TPS is the only sensor that I have had problems with, but it never threw a code.
This is the only sensor I have replaced as well, although mine threw a code. I did get a code once for my coolent temp sensor, but then it went away like 20 mins later :dunno:

The reason why I originally asked is becuase my friend got stranded in the woods once and it ended up being his CPS. Luckily he wasn't that far out.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is the only sensor I have replaced as well, although mine threw a code. I did get a code once for my coolent temp sensor, but then it went away like 20 mins later :dunno:

The reason why I originally asked is becuase my friend got stranded in the woods once and it ended up being his CPS. Luckily he wasn't that far out.

And the CPS is the only sensor that will leave you that way....

Oil.... in my wheeling Jeep.. Farm Store 20w-50 it leaks too much otherwise. The ZJ gets Amsoil 10w-40 and an Amsoil oil filter.

Air filter... K&N.. but that is coming off when the weather gets warm... too much dust and dirt get past it and I am tired of cleaning/reoiling it plus the expense....

Plugs... Champions.... the 4L seems to prefer these over fancy ones. Cap and Rotor are just parts house brand.

Fuel.... 87 octane.. thats what it is designed to run

Coolant... whatever is on sale with a bottle of "water wetter" thrown in it

Diff fluid... I ALWAYS pop the cover off and do it. I want to physically see the condition of the parts in there...

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts

I had no idea about the CPS stranding you dead, until I joined up on a jeep forum. Wow, that is scary. I guess ignorance was bliss.

Anyway mines coming out this weekend, and I'll keep the old one as a spare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts