Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My daily driver is currently a '99 Toyota 4Runner SR-5. Before this, I was daily driving the XJ, at nearly 1,000 miles per week, and for the foreseeable future, this type of mileage will be somewhat normal.

I absolutely loved DD-ing the XJ, but it was just involving too much constant maintenance, lack of regearing on 33's, and the fact that I couldn't fully enjoy myself while wheeling because I'd always be thinking about how I'd have to get to work the next day (primarily wheel on Sundays unfortunately).

I got the 'Yota right around this past November. It was my uncle's (original owner), garage kept for the past 10 years, 108k when I bought it (116,000 now), well-maintained, and fully-loaded (only options it doesn't have are heated/power seats, but they are leather). I got it for cheap, so it was a really good deal that I couldn't pass up at the time because nothing else was in my price range in my area.

I really hate how it's under-powered, never feel "great" while I'm driving it, don't like the interior layout of the controls, can't find a comfy seating position, etc. Pros of the 'Yota are Toyota dependability and durability, just the basic fact that it'll last forever (as will another XJ).

I've been looking for another '98-'01 XJ Limited/Classic for about a month now, and finally came across an '01 Limited, 92k on the odo, great shape for $6500. I figure I can probably get the guy down some on the price, and I'd love to have an XJ as a DD again.

What's your opinion? Think I should sell the 'Yota and get back in an XJ, or do you think I should stick with the 'Yota? I'm curious as to what your opinions are.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I had a 1985 toyota 4X4 that I drove to school and back ( 45 miles one way ) every day for four years.

My opinion is to keep the yota.

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
well, you could probably turn around and sell the yota pretty easily (if that was an option). i think either way you go would be fine.

the yota was cheap and will last forever. but uncomfy.

the possible new xj will cost some more money. but will last forever. they are comfortable for you to drive. and you are familiar with them.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I put the 4Runner up on Craigslist this morning. It's more of a feeler right now, just to see what people would be willing to pay for it, to give me a better idea of what I may have to spend should I decide to sell it to someone.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
honestly...i know you want milage...but you should sell the runner and get something you can tow with.....may be a wj...more cofty and all...if not a pick up...you know since the xj is a toy...it may be worth it :).

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
honestly...i know you want milage...but you should sell the runner and get something you can tow with.....may be a wj...more cofty and all...if not a pick up...you know since the xj is a toy...it may be worth it :).
I was thinking about it, but if gas prices fly up again in the next year, I'm not going to be able to afford a pickup/larger SUV. Not that the XJ is an econobox, but it's not horrible either.

I also have no place to keep a trailer for the forseeable future, so even if I had the bigger SUV I wouldn't be able to get a trailer. :( I have many friends with double trailers and 3500's that they tow with, so getting a trailer spot is never an issue for the most part.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
well...im kinda in the same boat...

im giving away the xj to my little brother....so

i know a few things for sure!

i dont want to get in debt...which is the "best" way to get a better,nice,new car...
i dont want to get something fast..because i dont want tickets..i cant really control my self..specially in miami ..

so..

im probably going to get a used

"cash" suv/pick up

and call it the day....

and when i find one..im going to buy a yj..hopefully with no engine ..since i have some BIG plans for it...

also if you want a jeep DD...then buy a wj...is the same as the xj in power...or more if you get the v8 and its a lot more cofty,drives nicer..and..well you could rent a trailer and tow with it if you wanted to..

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 'Yota is on CL like I said, and no bites yet. Car's aren't moving up here all that much right now. There are tons of vehicles that have been on CL for the past few months that just keep getting relisted, at lower and lower prices each time. Obviously the economy is not on my side. So we'll see how that plays out.

As for the XJ Limited that I found, I have PM-ed (on another forum) and Emailed the owner a couple times this week without any reply from him :(. It's all a waiting and guessing game right now.

A WJ would be cool, and if I come across one that I like and that I can afford I'd consider that too. I can't really do anything though until I see what I may be able to get for the 'Yota. It's not a must-do thing, so if the Toyota doesn't sell it won't be the end of the world for me, ya know?

·
Wisconsin Wheeler
3,358 Posts
well...im kinda in the same boat...

im giving away the xj to my little brother....so

i know a few things for sure!

i dont want to get in debt...which is the "best" way to get a better,nice,new car...
i dont want to get something fast..because i dont want tickets..i cant really control my self..specially in miami ..

so..

im probably going to get a used

"cash" suv/pick up

and call it the day....

and when i find one..im going to buy a yj..hopefully with no engine ..since i have some BIG plans for it...

also if you want a jeep DD...then buy a wj...is the same as the xj in power...or more if you get the v8 and its a lot more cofty,drives nicer..and..well you could rent a trailer and tow with it if you wanted to..
how come? that just sounds crazy haha.

you could give it to me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i want to go topless :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
finally came across an '01 Limited, 92k on the odo, great shape for $6500.

What's your opinion? Think I should sell the 'Yota and get back in an XJ, or do you think I should stick with the 'Yota? I'm curious as to what your opinions are.

If the yota is paid for I could put up with being a little uncomfortable vs spending $6500.... also with the economy as fickle as it is right now I like the feeling of not having any payments over my head.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the yota is paid for I could put up with being a little uncomfortable vs spending $6500.... also with the economy as fickle as it is right now I like the feeling of not having any payments over my head.
Totally agree. The Toyota is paid for, and my goal would be to sell the Toyota and flip that into another Jeep. No money out of my pocket, so if I don't get what I want for the Toyota then I won't sell it. I'm definately not going to put myself into a position where I either have to owe money or own a vehicle that I have to have payments on. That's why I'm looking to sell the Toyota first, and then budget my next purchase on what I got for the Toyota. In my area, I will be able to get more than $6500 for the Toyota, and $6500 is his asking price for the XJ, so you have to figure that he's willing to take between $5500-$6000 for it. So anyway you cut it, I won't be out of pocket for the next vehicle.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
dude xj are so expensive over there...

here you can find a 99-01 xj for like...3500-4000...

just go to an auction....

my friend just got a 01 4x2 xj for 800$..nothing wrong with it...and sold it for 3000$ he is the buying/selling cars....

but just saying...

sell the yota for what is worth..find a cheap/good xj..w.e. is left...upgrade your rig..

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, XJ's in good shape, with decent mileage are harder to find here, and if it's a Classic or Limited then the prices are even higher. I'm not in a rush, so when the right XJ comes around then I'll hopefully be able to jump on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd get another Jeep. The thing I'd worry about, though, is modding it. Do you think you'd be able to leave it alone? I don't think I could. Haha

·
Registered
410 Posts
... 1,000 miles per week, and for the foreseeable future, this type of mileage will be somewhat normal.

... I really hate how it's under-powered, never feel "great" while I'm driving it, don't like the interior layout of the controls, can't find a comfy seating position, etc.

What's your opinion? I'm curious ...
There's your answer right there. If you're driving close to 1k miles weekly, you should definitely be driving something comfortable & fun to drive. Ditch the 'Yota. End of story.

You can thank me later. :thumbsup:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Definately with ya Station. Right now I have a couple coming to look at the 'Yota either this week or next weekend, so hopefully it'll be out of my hands soon thereafter. Then I have my eyes on that 5.9 that you mentioned earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
410 Posts
OMG, I was reading the thread earlier today. He reduced the price to 5k and he's motivated because he wants to buy a deisel ... before someone else does. You should go talk to the guy! Wish I could get it, but 3 SUV's is a bit much for my insurance to swallow.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts