Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I had zero issues with my Mickey Thompson Classic IIs. I may try and get Classic IIIs for my street tires.

01 XJ Classic custom front 3 link, HP60 front, Sterling Rear, 110 inch wheelbase
Just a guy in a garage trying to live the dream!

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Unless you totally grenade the wheel a shop can repair an aluminum wheel almost as easily as a steel wheel. I like the lower weight and rotational mass of aluminium. Of course I was a drag racer for many years. I've just never had a problem with aluminum wheels off road but I'm also not a rock crawler.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I first wanted Aluminum when I started looking but then I saw what I liked in the steel wheels. Aluminum seemed to be a premium price, but I do like that they were lighter. I found it hard to find Steel Rims that would fit my Stock suspension. I finally found these Aluminum wheels and I guess I settled for those.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Nothing wrong with aluminum at all. I ran aluminum wheels for 3 years. They are lighter weight, but I don't notice any difference between aluminum and the steel wheels I have now

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
I'm not understanding why it was hard to find stock size wheels of either material. Lots of cars and trucks both have 5x4.5" bolt patterns and use 15x7" wheels.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The issue seemed to be a stock suspension. Salesman said I could get if remember correctly anything between a 12 and 32 offset. Most of the others were either 6 or negative offset which required a lift. I do not have a lift and am not going to lift so that is why I was having trouble. I also wanted them Black and the more agressive looking rims were all negative offset. I guess the figure those of you with lifts are the only ones looking for agressive looking rims. Mine is a 2WD no need to lift it.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Ah. There are a hundred options online in various brands. Were you trying to stay with one store?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ah. There are a hundred options online in various brands. Were you trying to stay with one store?
Yes I was trying to stay with Discount Tire. They had the promotion of $100 prepaid visa for a set of 4 wheels. $60 prepaid visa if you use your Discount tire card. Total came to $403 at first with lugs but since I had just bought chrome lugs last August they were able to reuse those it came to $350. Thats about $47.50 a rim after rebates on a rim that was originally $82.

I ended getting AR172, 5x8 with +20 offset and they fit fine without rubbing.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Glad to hear it

·
Registered
4,197 Posts

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Looking good. Keep going you'll end up in the Modified Cherokee of the month.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,927 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,143 Posts
Very Funny, I do not think so. LOL
Why not? Like the man said 31's and a small lift and you're there. Throw a locker in the difference and you'll be amazed of the places you can go. Sometimes 4x4 just gets you stuck worse and 4x4 without lockers is just 2 wheel drive. My first off-road rig was a 1977 Ford Courier with a Lincoln locker in the rear. 2 wheel drive with Firestone old school mud grips on the back. Never got it stuck, momentum and wheel speed got me thru the mud. :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Why not? Like the man said 31's and a small lift and you're there. Throw a locker in the difference and you'll be amazed of the places you can go. Sometimes 4x4 just gets you stuck worse and 4x4 without lockers is just 2 wheel drive. My first off-road rig was a 1977 Ford Courier with a Lincoln locker in the rear. 2 wheel drive with Firestone old school mud grips on the back. Never got it stuck, momentum and wheel speed got me thru the mud. :D
I just thought putting a lift on a 2WD was just silly. As you can see I am naive when it comes to my Cherokee. I have only entered this new world for about a year now. I am a city driver so I do not plan on doing any wheeling. I am just having a little fun with my Cherokee. I do enjoy this forum and all the new ideas it brings, that is why I became a member. I only submitted a build to keep track of my Cherokee and maybe someone with a 2WD could benefit from naivety.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
White grand cherokee is running 2wd at the time . I got stuck twice but had a blast and raised some eye browse. No locker either and tires were pretty wore out
https://youtu.be/NZWvYTZLU4w

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Yes WJlizard I could tell the person making the video was having a good time.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I just thought putting a lift on a 2WD was just silly. As you can see I am naive when it comes to my Cherokee. I have only entered this new world for about a year now. I am a city driver so I do not plan on doing any wheeling. I am just having a little fun with my Cherokee. I do enjoy this forum and all the new ideas it brings, that is why I became a member. I only submitted a build to keep track of my Cherokee and maybe someone with a 2WD could benefit from naivety.

One of the cool things about the Cherokee is a 2 wheel drive and a 4 wheel drive shares all the same suspension parts. Only major difference is no transfer case and diff in the front.

01 XJ Classic custom front 3 link, HP60 front, Sterling Rear, 110 inch wheelbase
Just a guy in a garage trying to live the dream!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts